• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gin Poles Finished

hoopsoft

Every since I saw it in the manual, I knew it was gonna happen. I thought that it would make things so much easier, well for the most part we got them done and I got them on the truck today.

Haven't tried them out with more than a couple hundred pounds as my guide wire isn't supported correctly yet. (Just with a come along right now)

I've only ever seen one picture of them at all, not sure if they were army issue or not. These are 12' long, and can extend another 6'.

I am combining two parts trucks, so I needed them to remove cabs, and motors and tranny's, get axle's on and off trailers etc.

Attachments

hoopsoft

Just wanted to say thanks to the site.

I know I don't post alot, and there is no need to because every question has been asked and answered several times so I can usually find what I need in a search.

For us fans of the green iron, this site is a must, I don't add alot to other posts either because I'll just leave that to the more qualified members.

Just wanted to say thanks, and thought I would add this because its something I hadn't seen much of.

Elwenil

Nice fab work. Are the gin poles designed to move back and forth? I was going to do a similar, but smaller, design for the front of my Ramcharger to do off road recovery but I was going to pin them together at the top and have them hinge up and down at the bumper. It seems like your design would allow the poles to swing a little under load. Was that intentional? I can see how some sway would be helpful when positioning a load but how much do they sway with your design?

uoa

Every since I saw it in the manual, I knew it was gonna happen. I thought that it would make things so much easier, well for the most part we got them done and I got them on the truck today.

Haven't tried them out with more than a couple hundred pounds as my guide wire isn't supported correctly yet. (Just with a come along right now)

I've only ever seen one picture of them at all, not sure if they were army issue or not. These are 12' long, and can extend another 6'.

I am combining two parts trucks, so I needed them to remove cabs, and motors and tranny's, get axle's on and off trailers etc.
My only comment would be about where your guy wire attaches. The way you used one wire to connect the two poles, that will actually double to force on each pole as opposed to having a separate wire from each pole, which will half the force on each pole. I don't know if it will even make a difference, but just my 2 cents. I'm a rock climber, and this is a common issue that kills alot of people. They will hook-up two anchors with the same type of set-up, which doubles the force on the anchors and they pull out of the rock with bad consequences. Like I said though, probably won't even make a difference on something that heavy duty.

hoopsoft

The manual says 3000 is the limit on this setup, I believe it could do alot more, all my attaching hardware is rated around 6000 lbs, its all 1/2 wire (actually from a an old broke winch) so the guide wire is way bigger than it needs to be.

We had to make everything movable so we could extend and retract them. Its 3.5 drill pipe with 2 7/8 drill pipe inside.

They are really heavy and its ALOT of work for one guy to setup, but I'm gettin it down. When the poles are on the ground, I lift them up and pin them in the recovery points, then I run my winch cable through the snatch block up about 20 foot in a really big tree and hook the cable. Then I use a combination of winch and moving forward and let the winch stand the poles up. I have a 12 foot ladder and have to do alittle tree climbing.

There are 1/2 pins through both inner and outter pipe or the whole deal would just flop around, its very solid. I would like to use a larger pin, but I don't want to drill bigger holes in my material.

I will try and get some pictures of the top where they connect.

Last edited:

hoopsoft

Thanks for that info Elwenil, I alternated them for that reason alone, because I wasn't sure which way they went.

I probably won't switch them right away as its a pain to get them up and down, (and with all the melting ice, I'm tearing the crap outta the yard, so I can't get back upto my tree without my wife killing me for putting more ruts in the back.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any more than 3000 and the front springs are totally compressed. Words of wisdom: When raising the winch cable, pay attention to what you are doing, or the cable will cause the poles to flip over onto the hood, leaving two large creases. I have done this twice, and my friend who was using my truck did it also. We are both not numskulls. It just has a way of happening really fast. Also watch out for low power lines!

The ginpoles make the winch equipped 6x6 massively more useful.

hoopsoft

yeah I've played the senario over in my a head a few times, doesn' t seem like it would take much.. I thought about putting some recovery point under the bumper with some hooks and see if I could maybe anchor them to keep them from happening.

The darn lead on my winch is soo long, I have just been hooking a chain to the top eyelet so I have more usable space.

Also one more question, did you also have to move your top winch plate back cause mine was rubbing the cable otherwise.

Elwenil

Ah, I should have considered that you would need it hinged to swing a bit when you modify the length. I miss the obvious once again, lol.

connectingbar

Never saddle a dead horse!

I had a great friend who got killed by a crane block that had the clamps on the cable clamped the wrong way. Anyone who plans on using winches, or wrecker truck cranes for big lifts or pulls better learn proper rigging teqs or you can lose a friend or buystander.:cry:

Another point is your clamps are on wrong. You should never alternate the wire rope clamps. This is how the clamps should always be used:
Good catch Elwenil, good to know guys like you are really looking at stuff in detail. When I look at stuff, I usually just give it a once over say generally "that's nice" and move on. I have a bit of expertise in a few areas, I should really look at more detail. I knew exactly what you were pointing out, but I would not have looked close enough to see it and point it out.

Thanks for the inspiration to do better.

The writer was not paid nor compensated in any way for these glowing remarks.:-D

Kudos to the others that followed on with similar comments.

Regards,
Rick

Last edited:

emr

I am lucky enough to have the mil set on my M35 and will again be at the MTA's show in NJ in April. The cable should go to the rear of the bed and there is an angle plate to put under the cable and it should hook in the pintle, u may have said this and i may have missed it, Since my truck also has the wrecker set number 7 i shortened my cable and hook it to the top/back of the wrecker set, I use a block and tackle instead of the winch, i keep my winch so nice and tight and lubeed up i hate to see it out if not really really needed, very nice work on that set, I thought i would throw another set together and have the top of the poles angle out over the load more, I also did not have the correct part to go into the lift ring thingy's so i put em into the lift shackles them selves, the standard mil pipe fit with just a little effort..very very nice.....I also noticed i can flip the shackles and get noticably more height....Randy

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to add my two cents. First of all, very nice work! Very ingenious! Second, I think the screw pin on the shackle should be inserted from the top and safety wired to the shackle itself to prevent vibrating loose. Talk about leaving a mark if that comes apart!
See circle and arrow in picture.

StreetbikeDepot

Looks good, wish I was there to help ya set them up.....few finishing touches and it'll be ready. Did you get a couple pins to replace the temporary "death bolts" holding the tubes together?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks