• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL CUCV Question

airmech3839

I am about to go pick up a M1009 at the Jefferson City DRMO in MO. We looked at alot of listings before bidding and noticed a trend. Alot of "Batt's dead, will not crank, will not run" has anyone out there found a common problem with CUCV's described this way or is it just random what could be wrong? :?::)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alot of times the GL reps list the truck as the DRMO had it listed. They do not take the time to try new batteries or to jump start them. I have had Deuces listed with "no keys, won't start". Duh.........

Also most facilities do not have jump packs or slave cables.

I have picked up over a dozen trucks and most of the time they will start with a fresh set of batteries.

The CUCV key is the same in all of the CUCVs. If you don't have one ask someone here for a copy.

On the CUCVs, when you get it to crank, open the bleeder on the fuel filter to make sure that you are getting fuel from the tank. The rubber hose from the frame rail to the mechanical fuel pump is known to go bad. What happens is the right motor mount goes bad and allows the engine to drop. This wears a hole in the line. Doesn't happen all the time, just something to look for.

Keep us posted and post some pics.

Warthog

airmech3839

Thanks will defenitly check those out. And will post pics as soon as we get them! This is gonna be a project for a Home school group of boys. We are taking a road trip to get it as soon as we get our paperwork back from Uncle Sam!:-D

airmech3839

Wow small MV world. So you were the one that got that one. We got the one with leaking fuel pump with 90,000 miles. We are already gearing up to possibly change IP and maybe change over fuel filter to screw on type.

airmech3839

I hope that the paperwork comes back soon. We are chomping at the bit to get into her and see what she needs to get running! Anyone have the paint scheme for the woodland CUCV?

3dubs

I got the one with 15,344 miles. It says starts with a jump and starter fluid. Does anyone know if it can be jumped with two cars or would they melt? I am no electrician I just follow the rules I hear. I would love to call AAA for a 24v jump.:-D I did call them for a 250 mile tow once and give them a mile marker for a location. That was fun:roll:

airmech3839

We are taking batts with us and a towbar just in case! Will try and drive out if at all possible and leave towbar in trunk unless needed!! I can't wait to get our paperwork back so we can go get her!! Military slogan! Hurry up and wait!!:razz:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Batt's dead, will not crank, will not run"
When you see this in a GL add it could be anything from dead batteries to a hole in the block or it could fire right up. GL is known for having wrong discriptions. If you don't preview it's a roll of the dice as to what kind of truck you get. Some even have body damage that was done after the pics were taken.

azpatriot

My EUC went to Battlecreek last Monday and came back Thursday approved. Have a transit company picking it up on 6/2. Mike confirmed the vehicle is running. He started it up while I was on the phone which means the transit co. can just drive it on the trailer w/o using a truck with winch which is more $$$. Hope to have it in my driveway around 6/9. Selling my wifes Jeep Liberty Special Edition and replacing it with this vehicle. I hope she won't mind!

And yes, Mike in Jefferson City is top notch.

3dubs

Yeah I got my first one cheap and the frame is bent and the engine dropped. I paid olmost double for the one in MO but it had better pics. I will call up there and get someone to look to verify before I go up. If I go get it I will fly up and drive back. I have a tool bag and a sleeping bag. As long as it starts and drives now I will be ok. I just have to have the axels checked before I go. If not I will have to pay to have it trucked down. That is money I would like to not spend. I still have to get the first one fixed. But maybe I will see you up there. I will be heading straight to an autoparts store for batteries. I can bring glowplugs and just hope the others are not stuck. But if they are I can use starter fluid and drive straight through. Just waiting on the EUC.

azpatriot

I shopped the transport companies. They all came in at just under $800 delivered. I priced a ticket from Phx to K.C., a bus fare to Columbia, MO; a taxi to Jefferson City; fuel from MO to AZ and possibly three nights lodging not to mention 4-5 days of my time. It was way cheaper to hire a transport not to mention the time and fear of a breakdown. If it breaks once I get it at least I'll be local.

3dubs

I have had two vehicles transported, one was a MV. I also flew and picked an old air-cooled VW in Oregon drove it over the continental divide down to Houston and then on to Virginia. I did make some repairs in the parking lot of an autoparts store. I only stayed in a hotel one night and slept in my VW bus the other nights. I know that is not what everyone is willing to do. I have only transported when I knew the vehicle could not drive at all. But I am a disabled vet with only my disability check. I have more time than money. If I had a job I may pay someone else. But being stuck on the side of a paved road and nobody shooting at me is not so bad.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks