• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL recovery

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, lost out on a trailer today, but, my friend got his EUC approved today! We will be going to Barstow MCLB next thursday to pick up his new deuce. My question is,
1, will the base have an issue with me driving my truck there and driving it on the base?
2, I have put over 3k on the truck since I got it. Barstow is only 110 mi 1 way, but i'm nervous about doing that many miles in 1 shot..dunno why...just am. I have seen the inside of the engine and it looks good. STUPID question, but, think it'll make it?? There is a BIG hill, 5 to 6 % for 15 or so miles. Just nervoiuus I guess. Whadda you guys think?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd like to hear if anyone had a breakdown. I have heard electric go out or a loss of a tire, but don't recall alot of stranded stories.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have put over 3k on the truck since I got it. Barstow is only 110 mi 1 way, but i'm nervous about doing that many miles in 1 shot..dunno why...just am. I have seen the inside of the engine and it looks good. STUPID question, but, think it'll make it?? There is a BIG hill, 5 to 6 % for 15 or so miles. Just nervoiuus I guess. Whadda you guys think?
I wouldn't worry about it, I have done 200+ miles in a single day in mine many times............

nickd

Don't worry, I run my truck 80 miles to the NJ pines, run it off road allday in the mud and water up over the top of the tires and run it home another 80 miles. It is usually a 12 hour day for the truck and it runs great. Good luck and let us know how you make out!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The base will require yo to go through an inspection to make sure you are not bringing weapons explosives or alcohol/ drugs on base. Have two government or other offical photo IDs for you and any passenger and keep your GL paperwork handy for a reason to come on base. Unless there is a reason to have a high Force Proteection you should have no problem getting on base.

My Duece ran from home to Lakehurst NJ towing my dolly convertor spent the night there with me curled up in the back ( it was January) Picked up the M 127 and drove it home in the freezing rain. This was towing over 15,000 a round trip of 350 miles no problems just going 33 MPH with flashers on hills on I 95. Keep an eye on the gages and check all belts and hoses fluid levels before going just do the PMCS and you will be fine.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuces like the workout. My record for a singe days drive was about 700 miles andthat was towing another deuce. In my humble opinion, my deuce is the most dependable vehicle I have.

derby

Westfolk and I did a 500 mile(one way) GL recovery through Pa. mountians. No problems,it will be slow going on the incline.flat out on the straight away! Good luck.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Make sure your insurance and registration is current as well as your D.L. or they wont let you on. They are sticklers like Port Hueneme and Vandenberg and for good reason. Sounds like an adventure, I'd invite myself along but have to work Thursday.

Bidslinger

Just do it! I love to step out of my comfort zone. Yesterday I hauled a 13 ft. wide ,14ft. tall combine 127 miles. I hit a piece of scrap metal in the road and blowed 3 tires on the trailer, but like the owner of the combine said if you limit yourself you have limited experience. Load up, take some tools don't leave without a spare or three!

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All right, you all talked me inta it!! I'll take pics. Wish us luck!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
good luck with the trip. Wish I could tag along also but I gotta work as well. What kinda trailer were ya shootin' for?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, Good thing I got a tow bar. That way, when I break, you can tow ME home! Where did "hole" come from?

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Will..hole..and I went to Barstow MCLB, DRMO today Left at 0530, 213 miles round trip. The deuce handled it effortlessly. Head gaskets held, no major leaks, got home at 1505, including a 2 hr stop at Walkers in Hesperia. My butt hurts! Actually passed 3 vehicles and only kilt 1 bug on the window.

Attachments