• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Relay Repair

alburms311

Just FYI... I emailed the company that made this $19 relay with some numbers off the case. The government put that cheap relay on eight years ago. Not bad in my opinion for a $45 savings. Food for thought.

alburms311

Just FYI... I emailed the company that made this $19 relay with some numbers off the case. The government put that cheap relay on eight years ago. Not bad in my opinion for a $45 savings. Food for thought.
Good stuff. My old one has a mfg. date of 04/09/91, part number 98226. Doesn't sound bad to me either, thanks for the info.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay guys, this thread has been totally hijacked. Just like many of the threads.

This thread was about opening and repairing a GP relay, not diagnosing GP systems, what type or cheapest relay you can find, etc.

If you want to discuss all that stuff start a new thread.

If your posts disappear when I start cleaning this thread do not be offended.

sorry but I never see a problem with friends talking back and forth on a certain subject. I thought applying a relay part number and low price along with the amount of time it lasted was very relevant to the conversation. my apologies just my opinion on forums. Delete away.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
here's what I took off. 19 dollars and it looks like it's been on there a long time. Hopefully this 60 dollars today it was well spent? http://www.murcal.com/Catalog/Metal-DC-Contactor-Family/974-1215-011-09
I purchased 3 of these relays from Murcal along with a DC voltmeter.

Installed the voltmeter next to the factory 24v meter. The voltmeter monitors the output of the GP relay via the Orange wire to the GP card. After the GP relay opens the voltmeter automatically switches to monitoring the 12v side of the vehicle electrical system. The meter is illuminated as well, red, but at least it has a light for night time operation.

Now I can visually monitor the voltage to the glow plugs to see if they are getting the proper voltage. I have done the resistor bypass as well.

Photos for your enjoyment.
Karl
Blazer B Glow Plug Voltmeter 001.jpgBlazer B Glow Plug Voltmeter 003.jpgBlazer B Glow Plug Voltmeter 004.jpgBlazer B Glow Plug Voltmeter 005.jpgBlazer B Glow Plug Voltmeter 006.jpgBlazer B Glow Plug Voltmeter 007.jpg

Well sticking with the original topic, I too opened the old relay to look inside and repair. Looked just like the photos in the original post. No need to clean the contacts as it is easier to loosen the large outer nuts and you can simply rotate the copper contacts upside-down for fresh contact surface. Same with the copper disc. I took it off and flipped it upside down so all contact areas are new and fresh.

Now all I have to do is order some of that Magic Smoke so I can add it before quickly sealing the top and I'll have a good spare.

CA_LEO

I used a vise to pinch the top off. It popped right off and was only slightly distorted.
Reinstalling the top was done with the universal BFH.

I should seal it a little better, with some waterproofing materials, but for now it will be a spare unit.
What would you suggest for helping to waterproof it? Silicone?

Bavaria

Hello everyone.
I am new here and found my problem would probably fit in this thread:
My 1985 M1009 I have for the last 17 years, first in Germany, then Namibia, and now woth me in Angola. Never ever had an issue related to the pre glow and/or GP system. I never changed anything there, I presume the configuration is original. The resistor bank for example is in place and connected, I have the 2 batteries, 2 alternators, all original configuration as far as I can tell. Now I have a 'no start' problem:
I preglow, after app 15 sec the preglow light goes off, cranking but no start, and the 'clack' sound of the relay starts switching on/off every 10 to 15 seconds. I want to change that relay but online I just cannot find that thing which is installed in my truck. I did order via ebay new glowplugs though they say are for the M1009.
Anyone has an idea what I might need? I read here about an electronic board also (GP card, position?).
Thank you, any hint welcome! Not many experts around in this part of the world!

will add a picture

09032013059.jpg

Bavaria

Hello again,
after a more thorough browsing on this forum I think I found most answers already in different places, notably the CUCV Wiki, and others.
I will check on my truck again with the new information found, I guess I can just replace my relay with the different one always mentioned here (St 85, 603) Hope I figure out how to connect the wires correctly.
In case I still get stuck I will come here again to see if I find someone who can help me. Anyway, amazing vehicle, use it alot and never had issues with technical problems. So I can't really complain that after 17 years with me some stuff will need attention.
so long
Patrick

joshuak

I purchased 3 of these relays from Murcal along with a DC voltmeter.

Installed the voltmeter next to the factory 24v meter. The voltmeter monitors the output of the GP relay via the Orange wire to the GP card. After the GP relay opens the voltmeter automatically switches to monitoring the 12v side of the vehicle electrical system. The meter is illuminated as well, red, but at least it has a light for night time operation.

Now I can visually monitor the voltage to the glow plugs to see if they are getting the proper voltage. I have done the resistor bypass as well...
Nice work! I like your idea and would like to do something similar; a question if you don't mind. How does the 12v voltmeter automatically switch?

Thank you

MarcusOReallyus

Welcome, Bavaria! Glad you found the place. :beer:

As for connecting the wires correctly, just label them 1,2,3,4 and take a picture, and you should have no problems.

If you do, we're here to help.

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice work! I like your idea and would like to do something similar; a question if you don't mind. How does the 12v voltmeter automatically switch?

Thank you
I installed a small "ice cube" style relay that switches the volt meter connection from the orange wire that monitors the GP voltage to the 12 volt side of the electrical system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks