• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hauling a deuce

kx250m1

I am thinking about getting a deuce or possibly 2, with 1 for parts; from a gl auction, from fort Mccoy, in WI, My question is are these driveable home, they say driven to the lot, I would probably bring a trailer in case it doesn't work, and that brings me to my next question, I have never towed anything quite this large, the truck I have is and 01 f-350 7.3 psd, would this be sufficient, I would have to borrow a friends gooseneck deckover trailer, my truck came with the gooseneck hitch installed by the previous owner, but I have never used it, or would my bumperpull tri axle do the job, I am just a little nervous about the weight pulling my truck around, and 1 more Q do all deuces have air to the back for trailers with air brakes, they have a nice 1 1/2 ton trailer going on auction, I would just hate to get it and then have to do a bunch of work just to pull it,

Attachments

chevycrew

the 1 1/2 ton trailers are meant for behind the 2 1/2 ton trucks. All the air and electrical is there.

As far as the towing, use the gooseneck, make sure your load is adjusted for proper weight.
Please verify your trailer brakes work before ever leaving home on this journey.

Good luck.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the Gooseneck trailer has dual wheels on each axel, it would be rated to carry a deuce, but its my opinion that, that is a technical rating. If your not used to hauling heavy stuff, then its not a good idea. Don't try it with a bumper pull! Its too easy to fish tail.

I would recomend, researching Auction recoveries here, put togeather a Kit, and go drive your purchase home. You'll learn a lot and have a great adventure! You can get a pretty good idea of what your doing, if you have previously inspected your purchase. Good Luck.

Lee in Alaska

kx250m1

thanks for the info, both trailers are rated plenty high, but you are probably right that it would be better to pull the gooseneck, and as stated I plan on trying to drive it home, I just want the trailer following me in case I have problems along the way, so I don't have to pay top dollar for a 200 mile tow

jasonjc

I've pulled them with a 1 ton ford just fine with a gooseneck and a "bumper"pull. Well a class 5 reciver the big 2 1/2"er.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have access to the correct trailer, why bother trying to drive it home with the whole host of problems/Gremblins that may entail? Put it on the trailer, and no worries.
Some people have gotten lucky and driven their stuff home, and some people here werent lucky, and it turned into a long saga getting home...

I got my truck lowboyed home by a trucker buddy, and it was waiting for me when I got home. I got to stop at Colemans and Saturn, and no worries what so ever...

beaubeau

I agree with Rosco! What is the mileage and have a good friend go with U. Check it out good, and drive it home. Good experience to remember for a long time. I made a Tow Bax and brought it with me in case I had trouble. Better pulling than with a chain or strap. Any problems, U can pull to a safe area and make repairs. When driving it home, take it easy, drive it like U would a good woman on UR first Date!! She will treat U right also!! Good Luck, Phil

2027Deuce

I just drove one 350 miles from Topeka. Go check it out and drive it if you can, if not you can always arrange a haul. That truck looks pretty good and if it was driven in you can most likely drive it out, and remember getting it rolling is NOT what is important, STOPPING is so bring some DOT 5 when you check the master cyclinder. Go have some fun!

:driver:

my69camaro

I'm watching a few WI trucks to... I just got my 71 duece from PA and drove it back to Indiana without any real problems.. Well over 500mi trip and the truck ran 50-55 just fine..

Otherwise i'd tow gooseneck...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks