• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Headsets and Intercoms in the Deuce

sgtrisk

I'm wondering what most of you are using out there to a) communicate with passengers in your trucks and b) use radios while mobile. I see lots of really neat stuff out there, but most of it costs MORE than my truck!! The pro gear for pilots and race car crews is probably what I want, but it's way too expensive!

Of course, if anyone has or knows of some good gear at a good price, I'd welcome that info, too!

Thanks in advance!

illtemper

you should be able to get a good aviation set for a couple hundred on e-play. I've heard they work well,but haven't tried em myself. there's a few threads about this on here somewhere, try searching for intercom.

TACTICAL6

VIC 1 system in my Pinz

I installed a VIC 1 intercom system in my Pinzgauer. Two headsets in front and two in back. I got everything I needed on Ebay. If you want I can get some more detailed pics.

Attachments

sgtrisk

RE: more

The VIC unit looks pretty cool. And would certainly be authentic. Does the VIC-1 (or -3) have provision for radio interfacing? To a civilian radio??

I'll guess I'll see what I can find on eBay. But keep the replies coming!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Re: RE: more

sgtrisk said:
The VIC unit looks pretty cool. And would certainly be authentic. Does the VIC-1 (or -3) have provision for radio interfacing? To a civilian radio??

I'll guess I'll see what I can find on eBay. But keep the replies coming!

My gunner couldn't hit zilch unless we had AC/DC playing during gunnery! We simply used a headphone lead out of a boombox and hooked it in to where the fieldphones plug into the VIC1. Nothing like putting 120mm holes in foam and chicken wire listening to "thunderstruck".

scooter01922

RE: Re: RE: more

All i can say is ebay, Got my aviation intercom for about 50 bucks or so. Already had the headsets to connect to it but you can get a decent set for 75 or so each. Certainly not high end equip but it should do fine, that is whenever i get around to installing it. This particular one does have the in and out jacks needed to have music in and radio com out :) Good luck man.

DanMartin

sgtrisk

Dan:
Yeah, I looked at, and lusted after, those! That's what I'd LIKE to have, but I'm spending all my money on new trucks!! ;)

DanMartin

They are a bit pricey...about $400 each. They are super-nice though....you get a lot for that money. Noise cancellation, VOX, voice-prompted settings (no dials or buttons to look at). Very cool.

wsucougarx

Hmm, definately a must. I tried taking along a set of Motorola Talkabouts, yah they didn't work for me. There was just a little bit too much rumble from the front end:)

sgtrisk

Yep. The engine and highway noise made it impossible for my chase car (my '07 Buick Lucerne, VERY quiet) to understand a word I was saying into my FRS radio! And when I drive around town with my son in the seat next to me, neither of us can understand the other with our hearing protection on.

I see a bunch of nice headsets for sale on eBay. Not much for intercoms, though. That is, the ones I see don't have the features I'm looking for... I think. More research needed!

dmetalmiki

coms

I bought a used tank intercom (2 headsets) throat mikes . they are noise cancelling and have volume control..work great. and cost £20 at a show stall sale. (about $25!)will post a pic 2 morow.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: coms

This is a copy of my post from 2005, images didn't survive the site "crash", I'll look for some to go with the info...
To answer questions on the VIC-1 intercom system as installed in the deuce, check the images below.
I purchased the system shown here over a period of a year or so, mostly from ebay, but also from Fair Radio Sales in Ohio.
Total cost will be $200-$400.
AM-1780 Amplifier/junction box: $65-$125.
C-2298 Control box: $10-$40
H-161 Headset: $10-$40
CX-4723 Cable (from AM-1780 to C-2298) : $10
CX-4720 Power cable (from batteries to AM-1780): $15

TM's: TM 11-5820-498-12 , TM 11-5830-340-30 and others.

The CB radio "external speaker" output is wired to the "TEL/Remote" binding posts on the AM-1780.
A CD player may be connected to the "Audio" inputs on the AM-1780.

For additional info see article in MVM Oct 2004 issue ( I think).

We installed a second system in my son's 1953 M37 too. It was mounted on a panel above and behind the seats. Works and looks great. I'll look for pictures.

Armada

I use a vic-1 also. Same components as Bjorn listed. But, I picked up all new pieces and still had trouble. The new, sealed in plastic am-1780 amp was missing an internal component right from the factory. aua It took quite a while to diagnose. I lost some hair over that one.... I think mine was the exception. It works great now with another new amp and would reccomend installing a vic-1, especially if you want to stay with a 'stock' look in your vehicle. I also had a CB wired into it. Also, if you go with the vic-1, it's a good idea to add an mx-7777 surge protector.

Attachments

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Can I have the info on yours scooter. Id like to have 3 in the Duece cab for my dad son and me. My Dad has 50% hearing and it would be nice to talk to him while driving. I need something easy and somewhat cheap but works very well.