• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Heated fuel tank project, biodiesel, WVO..

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Bjorn,
That was very helpful. I think I will go for a closed loop system and use a combination of electric and possibly exaust to heat the circulation fluid. This way I'll be able to use shore power to warm things up before a trip. I will have to use a variable flow circulation pump to take the high heat factor of the exaust system. Any thermal sensors you can recomend?
If the exaust heat turns out to be very high, I am thinking a mechanical decoupling device might work. Maybe a large bimetalic strip that pushes the contact area away from the exaust tube.

Thanks again for taking the time away from your M757 project to answer my questions.
Bruce

mightymanx

Here is another way to heat the fuel or augment a heat exchanger system

The 24 Volt stock tank heater fits in a 1"NPT hole

I am using these with the 34* thermostat for my black and grey water tanks so I can go play in real cold weather with out having to dump antifreese down the toilet and sink. Nothing is worse than a frozem poop tank on a trip into the boonies!!

Submersible 12 volt water heater cattle water horse heater dog low voltage heater stock tank heater cattle 12 volt water heater Hot Water 48 volt systems, RITCHIE animal water systems, Miraco lilspring animal water systems big sp

The 24volt is on the bottom of the page.

hedgehog69

Bjorn, I think you need to wash your biodiesel. I think the bits of methanol and lye are going to be a long term issue.
An alternative to washing is time. Although I have never had my homebrew tested, I always try to let it settle out for a couple of months prior to using it. I also use a small air pump to' bubble wash' it. I have been doing this for 5+ years...and so far, I have had no problems.

I have an old 500 lp tank that I use for a finished tank. I go on a brewing frenzy in the fall and get the tank filled so it can sit all winter. fuel looks beautiful in the spring.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is another way to heat the fuel or augment a heat exchanger system

The 24 Volt stock tank heater fits in a 1"NPT hole

I am using these with the 34* thermostat for my black and grey water tanks so I can go play in real cold weather with out having to dump antifreese down the toilet and sink. Nothing is worse than a frozem poop tank on a trip into the boonies!!

Submersible 12 volt water heater cattle water horse heater dog low voltage heater stock tank heater cattle 12 volt water heater Hot Water 48 volt systems, RITCHIE animal water systems, Miraco lilspring animal water systems big sp

The 24volt is on the bottom of the page.
One potential problem with the electric heater is that it can not be permitted to stay on when the fuel level drops below it, it will burn itself up.

mightymanx

One potential problem with the electric heater is that it can not be permitted to stay on when the fuel level drops below it, it will burn itself up.

I would put itn the botom 1-2" of the tank and move the suction up a tad and that would cure that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks