• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

heavy duty tow bar

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Plus the -10s calls for TWO safety chains, as well as the TB tm, as well as fm 20-22, "Vehicle Recovery Operations"

indy4x4fab

Banned
Plus the -10s calls for TWO safety chains, as well as the TB tm, as well as fm 20-22, "Vehicle Recovery Operations"
Ron is right, cross chaining will keep it going in a strait line. We used this methed to recover a jeep (off road recovery) at haspen on the last night of the fall rally, and the jeep had a broken steering drag link. Sparky was the one pulling the jeep at about 35 mph across open ground at the end, Wise it hadn't been so dark would have made for a great picture.

BIG_RED

Dumb question from someone who's never used this type of tow bar: Do you still have someone sit in the towed vehicle and steer (like when I've towed vehicles short distances with towing straps) when using this type of tow bar, or does the vehicle in tow behave as if it were a trailer and follow the towing vehicle on it's own? I've dragged disabled vehicles with straps. It's legal here so long as you have the right straps, someone in the towed vehicle steering and breaking, the hazard lights switched on in the towed vehicle and a sign of a certain size reading "in tow" clearly visible on the back of the towed vehicle.. However I still don't like doing this unless we have to. A steel bar like what you guys use would be much safer. I've seen something like that around here but he was driving and I didn't get the greatest look at it. Thanks.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hook the tow bar up and let the steering float, no rear driver necessary. Some vehicles will track perfectly, and some will sway left/right, depends on how tight the steering on the towed vehicle is.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know where there are three big towbars, one is complete with all the feet (wooden box is broken that says wt = 426 pounds). Other two do not have feet. PM me and I'll get anyone the contact info. Can have pics Thursday morning.

indy4x4fab

Banned
I know where there are three big towbars, one is complete with all the feet (wooden box is broken that says wt = 426 pounds). Other two do not have feet. PM me and I'll get anyone the contact info. Can have pics Thursday morning.
I have a tan heavy bar I would love to trade for a green or camo one.8):-D

Also added a picture of the adaptor feet to make it work with m35s and m809s trucks. Thats a diet cola can in the center to help give you all some understanding of the size of this these heavy duty bars.

Oh and these bars are 95'' long, if you where to measure it like it is in the picture.

Attachments

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
While I'm certain you can fabricate a tow bar on your own. One thing that has been brought up in the past is liability. In the event that something bad were to happen, a lawyer or insurance company would have a field day if they found out you were towing with homemade equipment that didn't have approval. Just sayin'...

spicergear

I was fortunate to find the correct feet for the heavy topbar like picture with the four guys carrying it or the tan one above. Again, once you figure out how to use it's own weight to help move it, it's a great towbar.

Make sure the front tires of the vehicle in tow are pumped up tight. Soft front tires on the towed vehicle will ruin your day.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
DH, I agree and I think WM would agree too after losing half a towbar because of pins retained by the diaper pins.
The "Pucker Factor" was high during that incident......I tried to save money with cheap pins and almost lost a deuce.

I was approaching an exit just north of Camp Shelby when the leg came off the tow point...the crossed tow chains saved the day....the deuce followed me like a lost puppy.

The only problem was the MOTD that saw what was happening and still tried to pass me with the deuce swaying left and right as I manuvered it onto the shoulder of the off ramp.

You can't fix stupid.:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks