• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Height of the pintel hitch on 818 with 11.00's

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about replacing the ball coupler on the car hauler dolly with a lunette? Depending on the type of trailer you have it may be easier to mount the lunette ring to the trailer on-site vs modifying your truck, or the 818 and less $$ than buying a towbar and/or doing the mods to the vehicles. I've seen lunettes that were made to bolt on in place of a ball coupler, trailer dependent of course. Of course the height of the pintle on the 818 is still an issue.

Hooty481

I went to the junk yard yesterday hauling some scrap and came accross an old what look like a generator trailer from the military. was looking are the tounge on it and of course it was pintle type and looked closer and noticed that the lunette ring was held on by 2 bolts. so i went back in and they said they would get rid of it because there was no one interested in the whole trailer. so 12 bucks got me a lunette.

I dont have any pictures of it right now but i will get some. the idea that i have is to put a 2" ball in the hole closest to the ring (the hole is from what held the lunetteon the original trailer) then put some kind of clamp around the rest of the lunette and the tounge of the trailer. I want to see what you all think.

Attachments

Coldfusion21

I don't know man. Seems kinda iffy. I'd much rather see you bolt the lunette to the trailer.

Remember you have 600 miles to go. That's like 12 hours of driving minimum. 12 hours of bumps and vibration. If that truck breaks loose it's gonna cost you far more then properly setting up the trailer or truck to be towed.

Just my advice based on my readings here.

Last edited:

kastein

yeah I would bolt the lunette on properly... or make attachment points on the small truck to fit a military tow bar.

If you have your buddy drive the small truck home, smack him upside the head and tell him to let you know if ANYTHING falls off the big truck or seems to be going wrong. I assumed mine would have enough common sense to do this and he didn't.

midcounty

I don't know man. Seems kinda iffy. I'd much rather see you bolt the lunette to the trailer.

Remember you have 600 miles to go. That's like 12 hours of driving minimum. 12 hours of bumps and vibration. If that truck breaks loose it's gonna cost you far more then properly setting up the trailer or truck to be towed.

Just my advice based on my readings here.
What he said!

ranchhopper

I made a tow bumper for my ford ranger just for this kind of thing I used a standard military towbar for pulling my little truck home with whatever I went to get I made a light bar out of a set of deuce tail lights. I took a section of four inch C channel and cut four pieces of four inch angle iron then welded the angle iron back to back for thickness and welded this to the face of the C channel after drilling a one inch hole for pinning the tow bar to it. Weld a bracket on the back to bolt to the frame horns and its done mine worked great and being removable you can put the stock bumper back on after you get home.

NickAir

I believe the 1.5 trailer has a 32" hook up height. I would think an 818 would meet that standard.
never safe to assume. I will look into it.

NickAir

1. The pintle on a M818 is low for a 1.5 tlr. The M818 is actually lower at the pintle than the other 809 5-Ton models.
  2. I have 53's on my M818. My pintle is on the high side of standard. I am looking in to lifting a 1.5 tlr to ride level with my raised pintle. trailers that are un-even don't look engineered well.