• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

help in alabama

jeremyfc1

well its my first post been looking and browsing for a while. picked up a 73 duece wo/w the other day and have am wondering if there are any nice mv owners near montgomery al that would like to help a newbie out. i am mechanicaly inclined however i do not have the tool set required for most jobs on the deuce. nor a place to work on it. any help would be nice. my problem is i have a rear wheel cylinder that is leaking. i relize from reading earler post this is quite a job and i am not equiped to tackle it with my adjustable wrench and pliers.

btw i daily drive my deuce and have been for a month cant complain at all love the thing havent gotten the smile off my face yet. and as most of you can feel the g/f hates it/ thinks im crazy for trading a 95 mustang for a "Old truck that dosent go fast enuff... however i think i got a great deal 73 w 24000 miles and 8hrs on rebuild when i got it. drop sides troop seats soft top cab and the bows for the bed but no canvas. well im done pretty long first post but hey im at work and killing time

twright

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live in Rockmart a About 150 miles from you not real close but I will help you the best I can
I do have wheel cylinders and other parts for the Duce and changing out the Wheel cylinder is not that bad.
AEC Retired Tony

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the site and the world of "Deucedom".
I am prob a little further than Tony but if you get up to his place he is a stand up guy.
There is a guy just south of Montgomery that used to do a lot of parts sales...I have been there once.
His screen name escapes me but he was a good guy.
Get your deuce in top shape...the world famous GA Rally is in Oct. Check "Upcoming Events" for details.
You can't have more fun than we do at that event without getting nekkid.

jrou111

I'm in Helena, AL just south of Hoover. I've got all the tools to do the job. But I wouldn't be able to come down there until next weekend.

abh3

I'm in Florala but that's too far to 'drop by' for help. It's not that tough a job but you need basic mechanics tools to do it. You may want to find a surplus gallon of silicone brake fluid (I've bought it on Ebay) before you do anything, the parts house will beat your brains out by the pint!!

Do park it until this is repaired, safety first with 16,000lb vehicles...

Mt Doom Field Owner

Hi Jeremyfc1 ... welcome to SS forums... you will come to love this place for knowledgable posts from people that know a thing or two about these green beasts. I live up in Cullman (north of Birmingham) and when I got my deuce last summer it had a leaking wheel seal. I called a local truck shop (you can find them located at and around the big truck stops in Montgomery) and in no time I had a mechanic that said he could do the job easily. It turned out his son has a deuce as well. I had to pay a couple of hundred bucks for the labor and parts but this shop lubed up all the grease points, topped off the fluids and gave the truck a good inspection. I had them fix my windshield wiper motor and replace all the filters this year so the trucks ready to go for the 2010 summer season. I use my truck just for short hauls on my paintball field but it has been a great mobile advertisement for the field and the kids LOVE to take short rides back onto the fields in the deuce. Good luck and I hope you find a good mechanic like I did for the hard jobs. I don't have the mechanical green thumb and do not own many of the big tools needed to do the bigger jobs but at least I can save up and pay to have them done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Attachments

Last edited:

grayw0lf

Wow! I'm new to the site & amazed how many people have already offered to spend their weekend & even travel to help you out! Very cool!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good point on the Wheel Seals - but ask yourself, why would a wheel seal allow lube oil to leak.... maybe Pressure??? check the axle vents first, because pressure build-up once hot could force oil past the seal. Ruling these out, focus on the Brakes.... but still park it until full troubleshooting is accomplished. 2cents

jrou111

wc for shure i dont have the tools but i can trouble shoot ....altho the other axle seal started leaking yesterday.
Might as well do them all while you have them off. You can get all the wheel seal/cylinder parts from Ted's Trucks in Dothan, AL for a very reasonable price.

I can come down next saturday. Do you have a big compressor? I've got a 1" drive impact and sockets/wheel bud and the 3" 8 sided socket which makes everything easier to break down. Otherwise, I've got a 3/4 breaker bar and ratchet and adapters.

Last edited: