• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Help me decide the next mod.

hairtrigger

So the 1009 has come a long way since I brought it home, with still so much to do yet. I thought that I was done with the major mods, but then the wife decided to change my direction a little.

First I will start with what is was when I brought it home:
Bought it off of craigslist, ran good, had some issues. The previous owner converted it to 12 volt, and didnt have a clue what he was doing. ( read he butchered the wiring. aua )

( Pics as soon as I get to another Computer. )

I drove it around for a while, with stock gears and 33 inch tires. Drove nice but was a real slug.

Tires where about dead, so it was time to start the upgrades. :D First thing I did was add a 14 bolt rear axle with 4.11 gears, dana 44 with 3.75's, a 700r4 and transfer case out of a 91 suburban. Decided to use the lift out of the same donor suburban which was a 4 inch, and added the 37 inch tires and wheels.
Added a 2 inch spacer to run the stock rims.

the 700r4 was a step in the right direction, but it just really showed me how tired the 6.2 in it was. So I bought 3 motors from govLiq and to my surprise, 1 of them was brand new. I don't think it was ever installed on anything other than a engine dyno. It had motor knocks written on the valve cover, but I risked it anyway and installed it. Turned out to be a bad injector. Changed it out, and it worked perfectly. Purred like a kitten.

Then came the great idea to add a turbo. Holy S@#T what was I thinking on that one. :shock: After much cussing, bleeding, sweating, and a little crying the thing was in, and working great. Still have a lot to do to fix all the wiring. Did I mention the previous owner destroyed it yet?

So here is where I am at now. I was planning on using this as my wheeling, hunting rig, and just a dailyt driver. I need to either re-gear, or swap to a dana 60 front.

To be continued:

Attachments

hairtrigger

So now the wife has thrown a wrench in to the works. She wants to buy a light weight camper to use for, well camping. :D The only thing we have that could tow it at the moment is my blazer. So I guess its on to stage 2 now. I am going to lower it a little, but still use the same tires. So a little trim might be in the works. I am also now going to add a Dana 60 with 4.56, and a 14 bolt with 4.56 gears. Just picked up a K30 with both in real good condition.

Now comes the question, it has a 4 speed manual, and a 205c in it. I would like to get rid of the transfer case that came out of the suburban. It is aluminum and no speedo hook up. It is electronic, and the blazer is a mechanical. Also the 205 is cast and already has the no slip yoke. What is it going to take to make it work.

The next is the trans. It has a PTO, and I like the idea of using it also. But since I already have the 700r4 in it, am I taking a step back?

Thanks for the help, I am sure I will come up with more as time goes on.

Attachments

rickf

If you are going to run the 4:56's then stay with the 700. putting the manual in is doable but a lot of work. The nice thing is that you have the donor truck complete so EVERTHING you need is there. Pedals, crossmember, driveshafts. the rear shaft would have to be shortened but putting the 14 bolt in the blazer you will have to shorten the shaft that is in there. The advantage to that is that the shop could put on the correct yoke for the 14 bolt so you would not have to use an adapter joint.

On edit, I just noticed that the donor is a dually. That is a major amount of work to convert to a single wheel. The front can be done easier but you are looking at replacing everything from the spindles out. It it has a 205 in it then the front rear may also have a locker.

Last edited:

hairtrigger

If you are going to run the 4:56's then stay with the 700. putting the manual in is doable but a lot of work. The nice thing is that you have the donor truck complete so EVERTHING you need is there. Pedals, crossmember, driveshafts. the rear shaft would have to be shortened but putting the 14 bolt in the blazer you will have to shorten the shaft that is in there. The advantage to that is that the shop could put on the correct yoke for the 14 bolt so you would not have to use an adapter joint.

On edit, I just noticed that the donor is a dually. That is a major amount of work to convert to a single wheel. The front can be done easier but you are looking at replacing everything from the spindles out. It it has a 205 in it then the front rear may also have a locker.
I thought by using the H1 rims, I wouldn't need to change anything. :( Also, do I want the manual?

Last edited:

rickf

Final ratio in the manual is 1:1. With the 4:56's you will definitely want the O/D. I can't help with the rim suggestions but I am sure someone will chime in. It would be nice if you could keep the dually set-up because of the bigger brakes.

Rick

hairtrigger

Final ratio in the manual is 1:1. With the 4:56's you will definitely want the O/D. I can't help with the rim suggestions but I am sure someone will chime in. It would be nice if you could keep the dually set-up because of the bigger brakes.

Rick
Thanks, sounds like the R4 will stay. Still need to do the converter lock up mod. I will do some measuring tomorrow to see if the axles are going to work. Keeping my figures crossed.

ODdave

Fwiw, That 205 and clutch pedle set up from the k30 are worth some coin, Looks to be post 85 so it should have the round 6 bolt patern 205, that and those hydro petals are the ticket for the NV4500 swap. If you where closer I would buy them from ya.