• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

High water brake issues

AndyT

Hello everyone, I'm here in Houston. Today volunteered all day with Harris County high water rescue. After a full day of 3 plus foot water , the last part of my trek I noticed a squealing metallic sound while rolling. My estimation is debris in the drums (lots of stuff floating around ) or a wedge that's not fully releasing.

I am exhausted from the day and brain fried... I would greatly appreciate any help / guidance on the diagnosis . Won't be able to really tear into it till the storm passes .

Thank you in advance. Fellow Texans , everyone stay safe out there.

Bighorn

I don't know if this helps but give it a look;
Here at the lodge we get people in all the time with same symptoms as you are describing.
Almost invariably the high pitched squeal when the vehicle is moving can be traced to a piece of gravel stuck between the backer plate of and rotor on the front brakes.
Usually remedied by insertion of long handled screw driver to free up the gravel.

Also, on rear drums, occasionally silt or mud particles can get lodged inside the rivet holes on the face of the shoes causing a squeal but it has only happened to me in deep mud.
The solution to that was to remove the wheel, drum, and then pick out the rivet holes.

God Bless You for helping Sir.

Last edited:

AndyT

You know what... that is probably it right there. I got off sideways a couple of times, goin around stalled vehicles . It started very soon after the last incident .

Thanks for the advice! I will try that in the morning. Thank you!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

AndyT

Many thanks daybreak , I routed my breathers up under the hood, by the horns. So I'm set there. Will be servicing her after this mess blows over. Thanks for the heads up and the info good buddy. Hopefully I can get those brake backings cleaned out and put in more time with high water rescue .

Csm Davis

AndyT did you get her fixed if not also bump the stem of the brake chamber the grease might have enough contamination or washed off and the wedge may be sticking.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

snowtrac nome

likely dirt and debries in the drums them self the 5 tons have closed back brakes usually the plates can be removed for inspection. I work in a muddy environment and find closed back drums retain much more junk than do the open back brakes like the lmtv

AndyT

Thanks a ton for tips guys. for the time being I have been popping it in reverse and pumping the brakes to get a few noise free miles while rescuing. It keeps creeping up every few miles. Tried banging in the backing plates and prying with a screwdriver but no luck, nothing fell out.

Tomorrow morning I will role around in the water and try to check the inspection plugs on the back plates. Also jack each wheel and hand spin to isolate the affected drum. More info soon..

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Draining your tanks is critical in these situations. It doesn't take long to crack them each open for a couple seconds to dump the majority of the water. If the run times are long, then every couple of hours at the least. The large amount of humidity in the air can exceed what an air dryer can handle, especially if it hasn't been serviced recently. On an air brake truck you need air for stopping...and to stay moving.

AndyT

Draining your tanks is critical in these situations. It doesn't take long to crack them each open for a couple seconds to dump the majority of the water. If the run times are long, then every couple of hours at the least. The large amount of humidity in the air can exceed what an air dryer can handle, especially if it hasn't been serviced recently. On an air brake truck you need air for stopping...and to stay moving.
Thank you sir, I have cracked the valves pre and post trip. But will step it up on that advise. Much appreciated

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't forget, if you have switched to civilian(vented batteries), if you have submerged them for too long they will flood and need to be replaced.

AndyT

Don't forget, if you have switched to civilian(vented batteries), if you have submerged them for too long they will flood and need to be replaced.
Haven't got that deep yet but many thanks for the heads up. I do have civ Batts. Thank you very much sir

AndyT

20170829_120150.jpg20170829_120104.jpg20170829_120245.jpg

Found my issue, as mentioned by some of you fellas earlier (thank you very much for the help) . A couple of stow aways on my front tandem . I'm boltn the plates back up. Should be rolling soon.