• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hinges- Making a drop side out of a deuce bed

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hinges- Making a drop side out of a deuce bed

Howdy,
So for my bob project I wanted a configurable bed so that it is multi-purpose. So I took my donor deuce's bed and cut the sides and front off of it.

At first I was going to try to keep the front and re-used the sides by welding angle onto them.
Well for strength and ease issues I have cut the bed into a flat deck, tacked up 2x3 box beam side frames and a more rigid 2x3 head ache front.

I have spent a couple days looking for a vendor that sells a hinge similar in appearance and dimension to those used on the deuce tail gate. The only ones I was able to locate were in a catalog from the UK.

All the trailer parts places sell a barrel hinge that has none of the tabs/flags on them.

Does anyone have a lead on where to find the hinges in the picture below?

It looks like if I got some bar stock and a torch I might be able to bend some, but since I have never done it before I thought i would try to buy some online.

Any leads are greatly appreciated.

Thanx.

Attachments

wbdodgeiv

I converted to a drop side a while ago. I cut the sides off and then welded 3x3 angle to the bottom. I also added some 1/4x4 flat bar where I cut the sides off on the bed. I made barrel hinges from some 1x1/8 wall tubing and 3/4 CR for the pins. It works like a charm and is quite sturdy, I don't think you need the strap hinge, that said if you wanted the strap hinge mcmaster has 15195A49 which could work. You want a lift-off hinge style I believe.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wbdodgeiv,
Thanx for the info - I will have to kick myself as I use McMaster yellow catalogs for everything at work, but because it didn't pop up in my searches I didn't even think to use them. I will also chew on the inch tubing idea.
I will search to see if you did a write up on your bed mods., but if not when you get a chance can you post a couple of pix?

ODdave,

Here is one,
I will dig up and send you some more.
There are also some in this thread.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/milita...t-more-fun-recovering-5-ton-two-2-5-tons.html

Attachments