• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HMMWV ball joint

bigred350

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi there tried doing a search on ball joints but couldnt find my answer? I just picked up a 87 m998 could use new upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends can i just go to my local parts house and get parts for a 92 hummer h1 or is the m998 different? any help would be appreciated thank you

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lower balljoints are 3/8, the newer ones are 7/16
upper balljoints are 5/16, newer type are 3/8
you can use the newer balljoints on the old control arms, but you have to drill out the holes.
You will also need to drill out the upper backing plate for the upper balljoint.
always use Grade C cap nuts to secure the bolts...also known as Stover type nuts.

kestrelnh

Lower balljoints are 3/8, the newer ones are 7/16
upper balljoints are 5/16, newer type are 3/8
you can use the newer balljoints on the old control arms, but you have to drill out the holes.
You will also need to drill out the upper backing plate for the upper balljoint.
always use Grade C cap nuts to secure the bolts...also known as Stover type nuts.
Are there advantages to going with the newer style ball joints? Are the new ones beefier? I ask, because both the newer style and older style ACDelco ball joints claim to be forged, single piece, have grease zerks, etc.., so I'm tempted to skip the drilling if there isn't a reason to do it when it comes time to replace mine.

Thanks!

tremmert

Were you able to locate these items locally? I also have a '87 and am needing replacement upper and lowers. If you did purchase a set, do you happen to have the part numbers?