• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

home made headers...

rattlecan6104

So I was surfing the net, trying to see what performance adders for diesels could be adapted to the multifuel, (I was originally thinking along the lines of an intercooler) when I started to ponder the possibility of making headers and came upon this site: http://www.pinnaclepowerexhaust.com/index.php/faq I do understand that the multifuel isnt a high power output engine, however tinkering and nickel and diming a few horses here and there never hurts.

...so my question to you guys....

if we could make (or have made) headers for these engines reducing egt's and maybe with a little more adjustments here and there we could dump more fuel in for more power safer than before, would it be feasible?

rattlecan6104

Well, you pretty much did answer my question. I knew the headers were for the big 3, but I was pondering if it was feasible to make them for the deuce. I understood that they were not really power adders. So it seems pretty much, headers are not a venue to bother experimenting with.

OD_Coyote

IMHO - I would increase the diameter of the exhaust system from the turbo out. If you are going to turn up the fuel on your engine you want to keep the EGTs down, so increasing the capacity of the air intake and the exhaust system may be effective ways to accomplish this.
The "J" pipe on my new M35A2C is rusted through, so I am going to try to replace it with a 4" pipe. I don't have a pyrometer on the truck, so I won't be able to provide any empirical data. I have owned cummins powered Dodge pickups for 17 years and this practice has always worked well. 2cents

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think that would be money well wasted. If you are looking for more performance, have Ken or Jwaller give the turbo a once over. They can get it to flow better, reducing egt.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Headers are designed to create a negative pressure pulse at the exhaust valve within specific RPM range. They help in spent gas evacuation from the engine cylinder for better purging, creating more room for the incoming charge. They also, by virtue of the individual tubes, keep the other cylinders from having to exhaust against the pressure already in the manifold from other cylinders exhausting. This, too, helps fuel mileage and performance. The collectors of the headers must be open to atmosphere for them to work right.
With that said, one can see that putting them on a turbocharged motor really has no beneficial effect. There is a constant pressure necessary and present in the exhaust manifold to turn the turbo, so the evacuating feature of the headers is not present. The pressure in the exhaust manifold developed by the force necessary to turn the turbo is why if you are going to develop very high boost you need to put stiffer springs on the exhaust valves to prevent the boost pressure from blowing them open like a poppet valve.
As was suggested by others, spend your efforts and cash in places better serving your end goal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks