• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hose & clamp change

JRBAMATEX

Does anyone have a good idea how to change this hose. I am going to replace all my hose clamps with T-Bolt type clamps and plan to replace all my hoses and belts at the same time. As I was looking things over and getting measurements for the new T-Bolt hose clamps I saw this and said this is going to be a trick to change. At first glance I think the easy way would be to take those little manifold looking things off of the top of the head so that I can get in there and replace the hoses. Otherwise I can’t see how you would get the old ones off or the new ones on.

Also, what about the compressor belt? There’s no adjuster. How do you get that belt of and a new one on? Do you just loosen the bolts on the compressor pulley and slide it off then reverse the process to put it back together or is it trickier than that?

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotta take the water rail off. You need the 6 gaskets for the rails. The hose is 1 3/4.As for the belt. The outer part of the pulley threads off. Loosen it and the belt will get slacked and you can move it up over the pulley. It takes a special wrench to do it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it is..

The ONLY way to change the hoses is to just suck it up and change them. Get the 6 gaskets you need and just do it!

JRBAMATEX

I need just a little more info I think. Is the water rail the part pictured with the number 10951179 on it? and if so is that where the six gaskets go? Maybe under each of the connections to the head with the two bolts each. Can I make these gaskets with some gasket material or will I just be wasting my time?

Also, please tell me more about the special wrench for the pulley. Why do I need a special wrench?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
under each of the connections to the head with the two bolts each.
That is corect.. Memphis has the gaskets for cheap if you dont want to make them yourself. Im lazy, and bought them premade...

Trust us on the wrench, thats the only way your gonna get it off.... Uncle Sam does some strange things on his trucks, and this is one of them. You need the special wrench for the special pulley...

JRBAMATEX

Thanks guys. I PM'd RDM about the special pulley wrench. Hope he has some left. I recall a post where someone had made this wrench. Also much appreciated on the hose change help. Now just have to get all the parts together.

JR

sailor2000

On the air compressor wrench issue, I found that I could use a 24" pipe wrench to hold the outer pulley stationary and then use a BIG pair of channel locks to rotate the rear 1/2 of the pulley. (Necessity is a mother...) The split in the outer pulley has to be lined up vertically, then you can slide the handle end of the pipe wrench in under the right (left as you stand on the bumper looking at the engine) radiator support and drop the opened jaws down on top of the 'nut' on the outer end of the outer pulley. Then the pipe wrench just lays there, holding the outer pulley from turning, so you can use both hands on the channel locks.

I don't doubt the special wrench is better, but it can be done without it.

jwaller

sailor2000 said:
On the air compressor wrench issue, I found that I could use a 24" pipe wrench to hold the outer pulley stationary and then use a BIG pair of channel locks to rotate the rear 1/2 of the pulley. (Necessity is a mother...) The split in the outer pulley has to be lined up vertically, then you can slide the handle end of the pipe wrench in under the right (left as you stand on the bumper looking at the engine) radiator support and drop the opened jaws down on top of the 'nut' on the outer end of the outer pulley. Then the pipe wrench just lays there, holding the outer pulley from turning, so you can use both hands on the channel locks.

I don't doubt the special wrench is better, but it can be done without it.
I also did the same thing with mine. it works but it would be nice to have the wrench. I couldn't see buying a tool I'd hopefully only use 3 times during my life. If I were a motorpool mech and I were changing belts on deuces everyday then thats another story