• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How many amps from the MEP 002a Alternator?

Hammer

OK, I have been curious about this one for a while, and didn't find it on my searches so far.

How many amps does the alt put out on the MEP 002 ?
I know it charges the batteries, but I couldn't find the amperage output.
Seems like it could be used to charge a truck via slave cable, or a battery bank during a power outage, etc.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What search terms did you use W? Search is good (life is good).

Hammer

Heck, it took me that long to find it in that TM!
Thanks btw!

Here is the text in the TM. For future reference.

(b) Remove fuse (9, figure 4-23) and connect
a 10 amp ammeter across the fuse holder
terminals as shown in figure 4–24. With engine operating
normally at 1800 RPM, charge rate should be no
less than 6.5 amps when loaded by a discharged battery.
Charge rate should taper-off as battery becomes
charged.

Hammer

Yeah, and NO WHERE on this site.
Yes, in the TM's. I would have thought this would have been brought up by now in the forums though.
Looking through tpub, it mentions that this is the same charging rate for all the MEP gensets 5kw and larger. Guess I can't swap out to a higher charge rate from a larger genset, drats...

Hammer

That is definitely true. And I DID do a search on google, but the data isn't there in any form except the TM itself.
Well, it's NOW on here. So at least this thread wasn't a waste, and it should be worded well enough to show up on future searches.

Isaac-1

Remember that number is "at least 6.5 amps", I know one of the larger generators (MEP-006?) uses a heavy duty 35 amp 24 volt alternator.

Ike.

Hammer

At least 6.5 amps, though a 10 amp fuse. So we know it won't be that much more either.
That larger alt won't go on the smaller mep though, or at least it didn't look like it would easily go on.
Still thinking about it, but was mainly just curious.
And now I have an idea of how long it will take to recharge the batteries on my 002.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, and NO WHERE on this site.
Yes, in the TM's. I would have thought this would have been brought up by now in the forums though.
Looking through tpub, it mentions that this is the same charging rate for all the MEP gensets 5kw and larger. Guess I can't swap out to a higher charge rate from a larger genset, drats...

That subject has been covered here on SS several times, I've thrown the number out there for people at least half a dozen times that I can think of. I know the search feature here on the site sucks, but it is out there.

I used "Charging MEP-003a" in the search box and this was the second thread that popped up in the search...10KW generator charging problem. And that one was just posted 3 months ago.

Bill W

OK
I have a sacastic question
With all the years that this site has been up and all the questions that have been answered why even bother with a Q&A forum anymore and just have a big "GO SEARCH" sign under the Steel soldiers banner!! I think its a sad statement when more and more I'm starting to see people always apologizing for posting a question, is this what this site has come to????

PeterD

Actually Bill W a FAQ or WIKI works well for this reason. Searching sucks, if you are not good at getting the keywords right, you either get nothing or you get every post ever made (or so it seems!)

I really would like to see a Wiki for each series of generator set (such as one for the MEP-004/005 for example) patterned after the existing Wiki. Maybe I should start writing it... :grd: PeterD!

Hammer

First place I looked was the wiki.
Even though it is simple, and NICE to have, it didn't have what I was looking for.

I was apologizing for my post, because I am normally pretty good at searching and FINDING what I want to know. My brain was just on a different track when I was searching for this, and it was a SIMPLE answer on how to search....

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't speak for the other posters here, but I was not slamming "Hammer" at all about searching. I was simply pointing out that the subject had been covered before (I knew this to be true because I'm one of the people who posted the information), and posted the search terms I used to find it.

Bill W

First place I looked was the wiki.
Even though it is simple, and NICE to have, it didn't have what I was looking for.

I was apologizing for my post, because I am normally pretty good at searching and FINDING what I want to know. My brain was just on a different track when I was searching for this, and it was a SIMPLE answer on how to search....
Hammer /Speddmon
My post was not directed at you but at the mods who always make a cronic habit at telling someone to search, Heck with all the years that this site has been up it would seem that all questions have already been asked and answered so why bother with a Quetion & Answer forum anymore if all someone is gonna do is tell you to "Go SEARCH"
Like I said earlier its gotten to the point that people are now apoligizing for asking a question on this site.

Speddmon
Yes you did post info on the regulator but it was under MEP 003A I'm sure hammer did not know that the 002A used the same regulator.
P.S. you'd be the last person I ever consider slamming on this site your contribution to helping members keeping these genset up and going is invaluable

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What search terms did you use W? Search is good (life is good).
My post was not directed at you but at the mods who always make a chronic habit at telling someone to search
BillW, since I am the only Moderator who posted on this thread, you must be directing your comment towards me. I did not say to search in this thread. I'm confused why you are complaining.

My comment was intended to help, make people understand what terms worked for Westy's search. Everyone can lean from examples, that's what I asked Westy for.

The comment of "search is good" was a play on the phrase "life is good", it's how you see it, that makes the difference.

We could delete all threads after the last post, and just cover issues as the arise, if you think that's more efficient. I think they call that live chat.

Nobody needs to apologize for not finding what they needed. The fact that some people apologize when posting , I consider a courtesy, not a complaint.

Bill W

"The fact that some people apologize when posting , I consider a courtesy, not a complaint. "

Really!
You see nothing wrong when ( more and more) people start their thread on this site with "Sorry if this has been asked before" you do't think more and more people have been intimidated by the constant "Go Search" statement that you seem to be the "King" of ( pun intended ). Heck I just read another thread where you suspended a new guy for breaking the rules, to which rules are rules but did you really have to say "Enjoy the 3 days off" Yeah that will help keep this site growing and not intimidate people . a Moderator can make or break a good forum...Sorry if thats been said already

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not recall ever simply posting, "go search". I only suggest search if I know it has been covered. I usually offer help on how to search effectively. I have done literally thousands of searches for others, and posted the results and offered the info how I found the info they asked for. That's called teaching.

As a moderator, it is my job to manage the site and the people, to use it effectively.

Think of information as a tool. Here's an example. I would guess you personally own several screwdrivers. You probably have one in a kitchen drawer, a few in your garage, a few in a tool box or in a vehicle. When you need a screwdriver, do you go out and buy a new one(each time), or find one you know you already have?

If you do a search, I recently warned that I was going to "give time off" (ban, for posting ads in the forums).

New guys should have the rules in their head, moreso than old members. He should have read them when he joined less than 30 days ago.

3 days off(banned), simply means he can't post or PM for 3 days. Barely a slap on the wrist in my opinion.

If you are unhappy with me or any other Moderator, feel free to contact Chris or Mike, and let them know how you feel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks