• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to find deployment history?

Wintermute

Well, my M715 is almost back up and running. I've been trying to figure out how to find some information about where it's been. About the only clue I have so far were some live and spent .556 rounds (rattling around in the corners of the cab) which have the same headstamping that was used for vietnam era ammunition. This unfortunately doesn't tell me a whole lot since that same head marking was used well after vietnam. It's a winch truck, has all of it's data plates. At some point, it was a radio truck (has the cut-out in the front for the 100amp rectifier). I was going to see if I could find some markings under the current paint. I checked the bumpers for markings...couldn't find any. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks,

--Wintermute

Lifer

In Memorial
In Memorial
Usually (but not "always"), a vehicle stayed with the unit it was originally sent to and remained one of the unit's mobility assets for its entire serviceable life. Occasionally, a unit might be inactivated and its assets were dispersed to other units where they continued to serve until worn out or obsolete. Deployment histories seldom accompanied a vehicle when it was transferred and were usually destroyed when the vehicle was placed in the salvage system. Same goes for maintenance histories. Any records more than a year old were usually purged from the system anyway, so tracking down where it's been will be one massive challenge. With luck, you might at least be able to find out what unit turned it in for salvage. Good luck, and happy hunting! :)