• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to hookup MEP-802A and MEP-003A through Asco transfer switch to dual 200A panels

vprinc

Sorry. Not trying to argue but learn. Why would a transfer switch matched to my service amperage attached to a gen that can not exceed its limits be a code violation?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is against code to automatically connect a generator and create an overload condition on the generator. That is one of the issues with putting in an ATS. Its not just the rating of the ATS but also the rating of the generator. You can't connect a generator AUTOMATICALLY with more connected load than it can support.

vprinc

Appreciate the feedback. So you determined from the fact that my ats is 225 amps and my gen can only push about 52 amps that the install is against code. I think there were many assumptions made to draw that conclusion. I have isolated circuits in a sub panel. BTW by your logic any house with a 200 amp service would need a VERY large generator to not creat an overload condition. Is that not why generators have circuit breakers built in?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're welcome.

Its not my logic, it is however code. Look up NEC 702.4 and make sure you understand the rules for adding a generator utilizing an ATS.

And yes, you are correct that you would need a large generator for handling a 200A service.

I did make make the assumption that you were doing a whole house setup based on the size of the ATS. Just want to offer the info that you can't do that and meet code with a 10kw generator.

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People are stupid.

So rather than tell people they're stupid and hurt their feels code got changed to require a generator that's automatic either:
A) be as large as the maximum possible load automatically connected.
OR
B) have a transfer switch with automatic load shedding.

Only one company tried B) in residential applications and that's now a discontinued product. (thanks for the attempt APC.)

As a guy at work was told, the larger generator is cheaper than the load shedding system.

vprinc

DiesselAddict, just reread my last post and sounded pointed. Not my intent so apologies for the tone. I have already pulled a subset of circuits to a sub that will not exceed generator capacity and I will post pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks