• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to make a M1008 military whip antana work with a CB?? Can this be done?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try "cb radio antenna"

That should get you 273 results.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A general search for "CB" gets 2490 results.

wilfreeman

Use an ab15, ms116, 117 and 118(?). Cut the ms118 to length with a tubing cutter to tune the antenna. I know WHY every body is giving you crap about searching, but it takes just as much typing to give you crap about it as it does to explain it!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not crap, it's helping him for the rest of his life, and not just today.

I gave him the missing info he needed to succeed.

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What does a person have to know to make a CB work using a M1008 military whip antana??
A MX 6707 base with matching whip works fine on my M1009. Just had to turn the tuning knob manually till I got a good radio match and cut about 10" off the antenna. Works great for a few miles out even tied down.

Whiterabbit

Going down the Ab15 route you will need to mod your mounting bracket to fit the 2" AB15 base though. An AB558 will work with the 116,117,118 antenna setup and use the larger more common mounts found on your truck. Or manually tune and cut a 6707 setup.

victor3ranger

Wow, I can already tell I do not know near enough about what I need to know. Mite as well be talking greek because I don't know what is being said.:shock:

When I get closer to this part of it I will have to get pictures of what I have and then revisit this. Man, I feel dumb now :doh:

dmetalmiki

Just think of it as tuning an airiel to suit your CB. As you would with say a dv27 or k7 etc. So buy an ariel Matcher (SWR) meter. ( You should have one allready really). And tune for the lowest peak by adjusting the matcher And your antenna length. Any C.B. enthusiast or radio ham can help you out also.

Woodsplinter

Wow, I can already tell I do not know near enough about what I need to know. Mite as well be talking greek because I don't know what is being said.:shock:

When I get closer to this part of it I will have to get pictures of what I have and then revisit this. Man, I feel dumb now :doh:
Don't feel dumb- asking questions is how we learn! :)
(I don't know what they're talking about either)

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A MX 6707 base with matching whip works fine on my M1009. Just had to turn the tuning knob manually till I got a good radio match and cut about 10" off the antenna. Works great for a few miles out even tied down.

There's lots of magic in antennas. But, since the MX-6707 / AS-1720 / AT 1095 combination is a center-fed dipole, and each side of the dipole is already too short to cover below 30 MHz, wonder why the match is improved by cutting off more??? The AS-1720 lower section is about 52 inches, the AT-1095 upper section is about 66". Together that is about 118 inches, (and we all know a CB antenna is about 108 inches) making it 'look like' the antenna could be cut back to 108" and work on CB. But it's not a 1/4 wave whip antenna to start with. Could be that any chunk of conductor will work out to a few miles under some conditions, and that could be all that is needed?

Or it could be that by unbalancing the dipole by cutting off one leg significantly, it tries to act like a quarter wave?

Bob WB4ETT

Last edited:

ke5eua

This is the antana base that I would like to use if possible for my CB, I am still waiting on the whip that goes on this base.
That base has a matching circuit inside it to allow it to operate 33-80 MHz. If you open it up and remove the circuit and solder a jumper in place you will be fine.

The whip should be long enough, I'll go measure the one on my truck to make sure, to operate on 27 MHz.

I have used these antennas in the field to work 20 meters, 14 MHz, with a tuner no problem. 10 meters, 28 MHz will tune fine, and 6 meters doesn't even need a tuner.

Last edited:
Theres always the Motorola 102 inch wip antenna, Its designed for the 27 and there abouts band. CHP is on 42 mhz and they use a similar antenna.. Its all in the tuning....

Their mentality about telling the op to search is akin to teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime etc.

wilfreeman

I totally agree - search first. I just get tied of hearing it. There is also the problem of 10000 hits on the same subject, half of the links either open ended or members telling them to search. I recently ran into that problem searching for info on electric brake controller install in a deuce.

This one IS a simple one, and would have come up with a good answer by doing a simple search and reading only a couple of posts, but that is not always the case.