• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How To Repair HMMWV EESS S3

jantkovi

Thanks for the info ryanruck. I'll check out the DeoxIT and Konform you mentioned. The S3 should be easy enough to remove and open up. My EESS had condensation build up inside that lead to corrosion. I would hate to see anyone have problems with a pricey S3 box. I'm seriously thinking about drilling a few holes in the bottom of my cover, so moisture can escape. I'm going to also make sure my electronics are coated to avoid corrosion in the future. Even though I had the foam donut on the upper cannon plug, to prevent water from coming in, I'm going to run a silicon bead around it to make sure water can't get creep in.

jantkovi

Good thought. The main concern is to protect the connections. The backside of my Printed Circuit Board (PCB) was even corroded in some spots (I've got pics). I"m thinking a light coating, in general, is going to be much better than what there was.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those boxes have a rubber gasket, and a foam donut at the top to keep out water.
The old school boxes had vent holes and had goop all over electronoics.....those boxes were not real good, and long gone.
If I opened one and gasket was bad...I'd run a bead of sealant around it and put back together.
Then with box mounted with good donut and connector thru hole...I'd seal around connector .
Then connect harness.
Connector S/B tight for a proper seal.
I've seen trucks that had harness connector encapsulated with RTV sealant after they tightened it.
Also seal the 4 bolts, or studs on Box coming up thru the footwell tub.

jantkovi

Not a bad idea. From what I've seen, the HMMWV is very well waterproofed. With the right equipment (deep fording), I've seen pics of folks in deep water with these things. I hadn't thought of the desiccant.

Jakob1944

I might ventilate mine to let it breathe....I don't anticipate any water crossing, at least not that depth.....It's pretty hot and dry down here in Central Texas......after all your car and truck AM/FM radios aren't sealed.....I think the corrosion is from condensation from temperature changes and maybe water crossing or fording with the boxes sweating on the inside.....just my opinion.......

Last edited:

jantkovi

When I opened mine up and saw the condensation, it was right after some rain and colder temps. It's a sealed metal box. FYI-There is a patent document, pointed out by another guy on the site, that shows where holes could go--https://www.google.com/patents/US6148258. This patent document basically lays out how the EESS should work.

Jakob1944

Maybe that box is as in use "one size fits all".......In other words being sealed the Humvee can be used in most application for a lengthy duration of time but the electronics will fail at some point requiring replacement.....Well they were built in the 80's and 90's so I guess 20 years plus on an electronic component is reaching.......

ryanruck

I might ventilate mine to let it breathe....I don't anticipate any water crossing, at least not that depth.....It's pretty hot and dry down here in Central Texas......after all your car and truck AM/FM radios aren't sealed.....I think the corrosion is from condensation from temperature changes and maybe water crossing or fording with the boxes sweating on the inside.....just my opinion.......
I'd be worried about dust intrusion in your case. That can bring it's own problems.

I am a fan of neither water nor dust on electronics. :D

If it gets hot inside...a bag would not be good.
Yeah, that's something I'm concerned about. Not enough room for the electronics to "breathe" or a plastic bag potentially melting if something in there actually gets that hot.

But, I've got access to different kinds of desiccant packs aside from the standard plastic bag filled with silica. I've got clay filled ones that are packaged in crepe Kraft paper and and others in Tyvek. We use both types for transport and storage of metal parts and electronics. Uline has several options.

ryanruck

I think the S3 boxes are a lot newer than that.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I knows when they first started showing up.

Jakob1944

they are talking about the obsolete green label EESS, I personally don't like that box. What I like about the S3 EESS is they did away with after glow, I hate the 2mins of On and off.
mine doesn't have the "after glow".......but I get a needle dip on the voltage gauge (assuming it is the glow plugs' coming back on and off because of the cold engine......it'll do about 30/60 sec. and then smooth out......
The engine will fire up on the first turn

EESS....Nartron....12469158-1.......yellow label....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mine doesn't have the "after glow".......but I get a needle dip on the voltage gauge (assuming it is the glow plugs' coming back on and off because of the cold engine......it'll do about 30/60 sec. and then smooth out......
The engine will fire up on the first turn

EESS....Nartron....12469158-1.......yellow label....

what you described is "after glow"...

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
papakb, you wanna see if my s3 is repairable? I live north of Sacramento. Got an email?
I see this is your first post... Welcome.

You realize this thread is at best 6 months old?

Maybe you might PM him directly instead. He still seems to be an active member with last post May 25, 2017

T

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks