• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Humvee Air Filter Question

Hummer Guy

I had ran across this video a few months ago
and thought it was a good upgrade but is this really a good idea to change out for a less restrictive air filter and modify that piece on the snorkel? I'm planning on going through this soon and making sure everything is sealed up properly and maybe I'll do this same upgrade. Seems like this will help the engine a lot while also helping you a bit with saving on fuel and a little extra acceleration

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will call this TOTAL BS!!
Acceleration 10X better, yeah not!!!
I have pulled 435HP on my Duramax though a stock air filter setup and the ECM was very happy not complaining at all about intake restriction etc.
Put one on a dyno and we will see.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I had ran across this video a few months ago
and thought it was a good upgrade but is this really a good idea to change out for a less restrictive air filter and modify that piece on the snorkel? I'm planning on going through this soon and making sure everything is sealed up properly and maybe I'll do this same upgrade. Seems like this will help the engine a lot while also helping you a bit with saving on fuel and a little extra acceleration
Opinions are like parts that everyone has one of... Sometimes they are valuable. Other times not so much.

So, here is mine: Think about it. The truck you have. It has (had) a purpose. Going Fast just isn't part of that purpose. The US Army and the US Marine Corps - just guessing here - have bigger wallets than you. Chances are they have proven technology for air and fuel filters. If you bought your HMMWV and intend to have it go fast I believe you will be disappointed.

Off my soapbox.
Hope I didn't hurt your feelings.

Hummer Guy

I will call this TOTAL BS!!
Acceleration 10X better, yeah not!!!
I have pulled 435HP on my Duramax though a stock air filter setup and the ECM was very happy not complaining at all about intake restriction etc.
Put one on a dyno and we will see.
Yea, I totally doubt that 10x better, at the most, just slightly better. To be honest, I'll be curious if it'll actually make the engine last longer and get better MPG, it already get good MPG but its just something interesting to see

Hummer Guy

Opinions are like parts that everyone has one of... Sometimes they are valuable. Other times not so much.

So, here is mine: Think about it. The truck you have. It has (had) a purpose. Going Fast just isn't part of that purpose. The US Army and the US Marine Corps - just guessing here - have bigger wallets than you. Chances are they have proven technology for air and fuel filters. If you bought your HMMWV and intend to have it go fast I believe you will be disappointed.

Off my soapbox.
Hope I didn't hurt your feelings.
Yep, I agree but one thing is when they design the filters, I would assume the main purpose of those filters was for dessert areas & sand etc. It seems like the extra air flow would let these engines get more air and breath better which in turn should make them more reliable. I'm no expert on this subject though

I think the humvee is far fast enough for what it is, but if there's ways to increase the reliability of these, this seems like something that can work pretty well

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, I agree but one thing is when they design the filters, I would assume the main purpose of those filters was for dessert areas & sand etc. It seems like the extra air flow would let these engines get more air and breath better which in turn should make them more reliable. I'm no expert on this subject though

I think the humvee is far fast enough for what it is, but if there's ways to increase the reliability of these, this seems like something that can work pretty well
There is a million other things that are going to kill your HMMWV long before an intake deficiency causes any issues if there ever was one, save your money for that as you will need it!

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that mushroom cap is more restrictive than the filter itself. Then air hits that piece of metal that’s meant to shed water . The air canister is blocking 3/4 of the inlet. I would make other changes before I did k&n. Nothing filters sand better than paper. Some have the elbow right into the air box. I have 1 of each type.
I like that Duramax filter because it’s shorter and I’m sure that would flow better