• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

hyd power steering info

hmburner

Ram Assist parts sources

One of the nice things about being in the scrap business,is that i get to see a lot of neat junk. The ram assist parts can be found on just about any truck mounted conventional crane carrier. I have a 20 ton american with one and virtualy all the other cranes i have cut up for scrap have the same setup. Depending on what engine they power with ,there is a wide variety of pumps. Just about every scrapyard has one or two of these cranes somewhere out back and rarely is the front engine used,so there is a good chance they will sell it to you. I have a 702 Waukesha that came out of a 1963 Lorraine 50 tonner that has a small belt driven vickers pump for the power steering as and example. On my M135 with the 353 Detroit i use a delco pump that came from a 5 ton GMC of 1986 vintage,that the pump powered both the steering and hydro boost for the brakes. My point being is a lot of heavy equipment uses ram assist and all the american made stuff uses off the shelf components. I'm going to work today and i will take my cam with me for some pics if its not raining

just thought id comment Bill
BILL

hmburner

actuator and pump pics

Just home from work and the weather cooperated for pics. I posted a pic of my 20 ton American for and example of where to find the parts. This particular model uses dual front axles but the actuator is on the pitman arm so it makes no differance. I also included a pic of the hydro boost /power steering pump on my M135. Any questions feel free to ask

Bill

Attachments

kipman

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: hyd power steering info

M35tom, great work, my brother oldgrunt and I will be using your set up on our m35a2's, what would you charge for the templates and where did you find the 710 box and 5 ton pump? thanks Kip Thompson

55Cameo

couple of questions, does the hydraulic pump from a 5 ton bolt onto a Deuce multi-fuel? if so, what is the output compared to a normal saginaw automotive pump? I'm asking because on my Deuce I have full hydro steering but I fabricated a mount for a saginaw pump that runs off of the compressor belt and when the compressor has a load I can slightly feel it in the steering and I get a little belt slippage. If the 5 ton pump would work, it would solve some issues with my setup. Thanks.

Wayne-M35

Hey how are ya. I'm looking for one of those 5-ton multifuel power steering pumps, so I can do the conversion to my m35 with a sagonal 710 box. Any info. will help a lot. thanks Wayne

klawrence

Well I received my pump today and hopefully my gear will come soon, I got the saginow 710 7830389 , I also purchsed a 5 ton steering wheel (wonder what the shipping is on that , lol)

I will let you know if I run into any obstacles.

littlebob

I drove another members truck with the Air-O-Matic and for the price I'll do without. Where I would want it the most, parking speeds, It didn't seem to add enough assist to justify that kind of dough. I wouldn't buy one without driving a truck with it so you know what your getting.

yeager1

I know it's been covered before, but I cant find it. Why is it that you can't just rob the entire system (box, pump, column, steering wheel, ect.) off of a M54 (or similar) truck? If the axles are similar in width and the frame is a similar size, what make it not work?