• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydraulic Oil, can you use it is fuel?

xmission

Looks like I'm going to have a couple of hundred gallons of #32 hydraulic oil that I'll need to dispose of.

What do you think?

cornrichard

I had 40 gallons of IH hytran that got water in it. It turned pink, Hytran absorbs water. I fed it to the deuce and it loved it. I mixed it at 2 gallons diesel to one gallon Hytran.

Jake0147

There are some fire retardant ones out there, I'd avoid that. But if it's plain old AW-32 then it works quite well. If it's out of a mobile application make sure you filter it first. But yeah, good stuff...

63sierra10

I am lucky enough that along with some semi trucks we bought we also have a fuel WMO filtering system that works well. You put one hose into the WMO and one hose into the fuel tank for suction and the third hose is the returned filtered and mixed fuel. Works great for the old deuce.

wdbtchr

Let you in on fire resistant hydraulic fluids(Like Skydrol for aircraft) it still burns. Thats how we used to get rid of contaminated fluid, burn it in the boiler to generate steam. It' is fire resistant, not fire proof, you should see it burn.

The best reason not to use it is because it will cause regular Orings to swell up.

xmission

Thanks all.

This oil is standard 32w, out of an elevator application. There was no contamination, and it's only being changed due to a contractual obligation. We do this sort of thing fairly often (at least a couple of hundred gallons a year), but I never had a deuce , and we've actually paid to get rid of some of it!

I do have a really good filter pump if we ever run into some contaminated stuff.

Dan

xmission

Let you in on fire resistant hydraulic fluids(Like Skydrol for aircraft) it still burns. Thats how we used to get rid of contaminated fluid, burn it in the boiler to generate steam. It' is fire resistant, not fire proof, you should see it burn.

The best reason not to use it is because it will cause regular Orings to swell up.

From time to time we run into an application where they want fireproof oil. We have not found an oil yet that works for this.

There are systems out there that run on water.

outsider

From time to time we run into an application where they want fireproof oil. We have not found an oil yet that works for this.

There are systems out there that run on water.
Look for a product called "Water Glycol Oil" it is used in aluminum and zinc die cast machines and is a water based hydraulic oil, and no matter how hard you try it will not burn. It will work in any standard hydraulic system and is red to pink in color depending on how much water is in the mixture.

Steve

xmission

Look for a product called "Water Glycol Oil" it is used in aluminum and zinc die cast machines and is a water based hydraulic oil, and no matter how hard you try it will not burn. It will work in any standard hydraulic system and is red to pink in color depending on how much water is in the mixture.

Steve

Interesting. I'll look for it.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Steve

I beg to differ- we used water glycol oil, and it may have just been the additives in it, but if a hose blew on the steel furnace where I used to work, that 3000 degrees would make it burn a bright blue- and that is on the outside of the water cooled panels!

I still think you are right and it won't burn under normal circumstances.

I burned some used hydraulic oil in the deuce last week. Loves the stuff. BTW- might want to check you state laws- after the thread on the fella in NC getting pulled and fined for WMO in his tank, I found out SC requires a fuel blenders license. I now have one, easy to get and free. If I ever get pulled, as long as I don't have off road diesel in the tank, I just have to show my blenders license. FYI

I wish I could get a few hundred gallons of used hydraulic oil a year!

xmission

BTW- might want to check you state laws- after the thread on the fella in NC getting pulled and fined for WMO in his tank, I found out SC requires a fuel blenders license. I now have one, easy to get and free. If I ever get pulled, as long as I don't have off road diesel in the tank, I just have to show my blenders license. FYI

That's interesting. I didn't think about that.

airmech3839

Ferro....when they dip your tank if it has a red tint they wont believe you will they?.... I am in the process to get a GA blenders licenese... If you want to get rid of that oil I would love a couple a 100 gallons....

Tracy

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't want to take that chance. I currently don't burn ATF for that reason. I believe I could have a lab test it and fight it in court if I was 'caught' burning ATF. But I would rather not go thorugh the hassle.