• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hydro-Max Brake Assist *pics added* (long read)

Gunfreak25

First off, great discussion folks. Time this little thread got an update. For those following the M211 build I am now seriously considering going Hydromax. It currently has no AIR PAK brake lines, master cylinder of air compressor on it yet. So this is the time do figure out what I want. The M211's use 12 wheel cylinders instead of the usual 6 so braking power should be out of this world.

The previous discussion gave me a HUGE headache on splitting the system. Just so I am clear, there are no issues simply splitting the system with the Hydromax II? I would like to put the rear axles on 1 circuit and the front axle on the other circuit. No proportioning jumbo?

I'm ready to start tearing out air lines as soon as I know for sure!!

jesusgatos

Mounted the Hydromax master cylinder and brake booster today. Had to clearance the brake booster where it was interfering with the transfercase mount. Would have been reluctant to do that, but the other side already had a similar amount of material removed, so I'm sure it's alright.

Test-fit afterwards and everything looked good, so I used a C-clamp to hold the master/booster in position while I ran a scribe around the inside of the mounting holes, marking the crossmember where I needed to drill.

After positioning the master/booster and drilling the mounting holes, noticed that I had a little bit less clearance than I thought. One of the mounting flanges on the master cylinder was just barely touching the transfercase mounting crossmember, so I took the grinder to it.

Was a little bit concerned about the brake line fittings, but there's plenty of room between those ports and the transfercase mounting crossmember.

Attachments

jesusgatos

The other point of interference was between the electric backup pump adapter and the framerail, so I rounded-off that corner.

Then I separated the master cylinder from the brake booster, hosed it down with brake cleaner, and then sprayed it with a coat of rust-inhibiting primer. Headed down to the auto parts store right now to see if I can find some studs to mount the master/booster to the crossmember.

Attachments

jesusgatos

Should be pretty straightforward. Expect that the most complicated part of the whole swap is going to be all the electrical wiring to make the backup pump work. Other than that, adapting the Hydromax master/booster to a deuce is as simple as drilling four holes and making/buying a custom pushrod to connect the stock pedal linkage to the new master cylinder. Oh, and obviously hooking up the hydraulics. Think the only thing left that I'm uncertain about is the pedal ratio. The Hydromax system is designed to operate with a pedal ratio of somewhere around 3:1 and the stock pedal linkage is closer to 5:1. Decided to leave that alone, as figured that the extra mechanical advantage might come in handy if ever had to stop the vehicle without any kind of power assist (hydraulic or electric). But will have to wait to see how that pans out.

Section8

Finally finished reading this whole thread. Started at 8 in the morning. I have been racking my brains for decent hydro boost or such brakes for my M135. Then discussing my issues with finding parts for my truck and such with my mechanic at work ,when he tells me to have a look at an old international truck that is in our shop yard.
I have a walk out to the back of the yard and see what I think is a 1996 to 2000 international. Exact model I have no idea since all identifying tags and such are gone. The cab mounts have rusted through and the engine has bad sleeves, according to the mechanic. Runs good in the summer using water, coolant leaks out, then has to be drained in winter otherwise the oil pan fills with the water.
So I was measuring the radiator to see if it will fit my M135. It might. Then started looking at the brake system. It has a hydro max system, I'm pretty sure. I did note on close inspection that it had 2 inch bore stamped on the sleeve!
I was pretty excited on seeing it since I have been trying to research volumes and such that were close to my M135 master cylinders bore of 1 3/4.
On seeing that 2 inch bore stamp on the sleeve I had to see if anyone had even known or tried this on a deuce of any age. Nothing in the early deuce forum, but after using the good ol' search function in this forum, found this AWESOME and INFORMATIVE thread!!!
Now I am going to go back to the shop yard and rip that sucker out and anything else associated with it. Pedals, linkages, and most likely the power steering pump and steering box. Heck if I can get the whole truck for cheap I will take it all.
Take what I need off the truck and scrap the rest to get some money back.
Did note that the truck had a GVW of 32000 and a single rear axle.
So I will use the hydro max system split front to rear as it is set up in the current truck to my M135. I am planning to Bob my M135 by the way and crew cab it.
One of the biggest problems I see is #1 getting the parts truck with out my wife shooting me. #2 making the power steering pump work with my 5.9 cummins I have. Of course if I sell most of the parts truck for scrap or sell the motor and tranny out of it, I could buy an air compressor. With powersteering pump piggy backed for the cummins and then just have to get the plumbing to work.
Long and short.
I am giving this thread a bump. Would like to hear how the set up has been working and trouble shooting of any problems.
Again AWESOME THREAD!!!

welldigger

My drilling rig is mounted on a chevrolet c 6500 with the hydromax brake booster. It stops that heavy thing real nice. I recently had to replace both the master cylinder and the hydromax unit. Ran me a little over $900. So beware of sticker shock if it goes bad on you. The performance is excellent so in my opinion it's worth it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks