• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I think I need an M1008, any advise?

amanco

My old worn out '90 Ford F250 is running rough. I think it needs a new injector, it has 160k miles on the 351w and the timing chain cover leaks oil to the rate of 1qt per 100 miles. (My reason for not changing the injector, I don't want to become a grease monkey)) My reason for having the truck is solely to pull a trailer with. Looking at M1008's on GL and I was wondering if say an 86 with a 6.2 would fill the bill as a pulling truck? Any comments here? Any year better than another? How are these truck to maintain? I will let the experts direct my decision.

amanco

Well, the last green stuff I hauled was the M37 from BigBee's house. I use the trailer regularly to haul my old hit & miss engines to and from shows and I am going to build a custom trailer to pull the M37 with. So I typically pull 4 to 10k lbs with the truck.

Michael

I would not want a M1008 to pull trailers to shows.

1. No air conditioner
2. The rear ends are geared too low. Max speed is about 65 and they are really wound out and loud at that.
3. No insulation or sound deadening .

amanco

I see, well that is why I asked. Ask and you shall recieve. The sound is no problem, I have been traveling with nothing other than a converter for the last three years. I have had no working AC for quite some time and the water bypass hose on my intake manifold is jerry rigged as such that I have run the heater at all times so the coolant continues to flow thru it. Thank GOD for wing windows. So the only real neg is the speed which goes hand in hand with reduced gas mileage. I currently get 10-11 MPG with my gas hog, but no loss for power (as long as all the injectors decide to work) So if the 1008 can cover all them bases I may still consider it. I'm not really loosing any thing I don't already have. What they got in them, 456's? What are the difs, Dana 60 & 70? Seems like an easy swap with a civi truck for higher gears. Again, this is not a daily driver. Only a trailer puller on weekends and to get fire wood.

Michael

I don't remember the numbers but if you change the gearing much you will loose all of your towing power. On the plus side you will get better mileage than you are getting with a M1008. Some people push 20 mpg. M1008's don't go all that cheep. Anything worth rebuilding goes for $1500 up on GL. A good runner will probably cost you at least $4000.

CCATLETT1984

you can put a set of 4.10:1 gears and still have all of your pulling power, you'll just lose some of the acceleration from stops. I have the ~ of 3.73:1 gears with my truck and noticed no troubles at all pulling a 3k trailer through the mountains on the way back from aberdeen.

Michael

RE: absolute steal?

Yes that would be a good deal for around here. The truck I posted pics of in the VIN thread went for $1880 plus 10% buyer premium plus 10% sales tax plus $60 to $100 for the title.

Most of the truck here don't have much rust unless they didn't remove the black floor mat like they were suppose to. If you look at one that still has the mat be sure to look under it, Most will have rusted out along the edge.

This truck brought $1237 plus all of the above.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Amanco, did you get the 1008 from Ebay yet? If so, what do you think about it? Curious minds need to know!

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial

Sold my M1108 on Ebay a couple 3 months ago for 8500..
5K orginal miles. I tried to buy another in VA. at a local military base. Bid it up to 4500..Was not the high bidder....That includes the 20% BS Fees...Dont for get about sales tax at the MVA.! GL. Makes you pay it twice!..
Kevin..
Yes that was a steal. If you dont mind the trip to get it.
Im sure he paid more...