• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I thought I knew how to drive a tank!

saddamsnightmare

December 11th, 2013.

The Tank's owner is not likely to get a note of "tanks" from his insurance company. Wonder if the caretaker was Kato kaelin between jobs at O.J.'s place?:twisted:

TehTDK

The Chieftain MBT is a PITA to drive, it has a manual "crash" transmission, meaning no syncromesh. So you have to double declutch in order to operate it as well as match the revs etc. Even skilled and experienced drivers tend to struggle with the gearbox of that particular tank so I am not particularly surprised that someone unskilled, unqualified, untrained and inexperienced with driving it cocks it up. Thank god nothing serious happened and he should be glad he was only fined 1500 USD.

And AFAIR the Centurion was just as bad...

Last edited:
Reactions: HDN

wideload

The Chieftain MBT is a PITA to drive, it has a manual "crash" transmission, meaning no syncromesh. So you have to double declutch in order to operate it as well as match the revs etc. Even skilled and experienced drivers tend to struggle with the gearbox of that particular tank so I am not particularly surprised that someone unskilled, unqualified, untrained and inexperienced with driving it cocks it up. Thank god nothing serious happened and he should be glad he was only fined 1500 USD.

And AFAIR the Centurion was just as bad...
Sorry but you are talking absolute rubbish, the Chieftain has an electrically controlled semi auto gearbox, there is a foot control like changing gear on a motor bike, heel down for 2 reverse gears, toe down for 6 forward gears. There is also a seperate emergency gear selector which is a cable going from a lever on the left hand side of the drivers floor plate to the gearbox to select low reverse / 2nd forwards.
I have It on good authority that the new owners were not aware of the emergency gears and were struggling with the electric selector when it lost electrical connection allowing the vehicle to run free backwards. I also understand that the main brakes were in poor condition as delivered.

TehTDK

Sorry but you are talking absolute rubbish, the Chieftain has an electrically controlled semi auto gearbox, there is a foot control like changing gear on a motor bike, heel down for 2 reverse gears, toe down for 6 forward gears. There is also a seperate emergency gear selector which is a cable going from a lever on the left hand side of the drivers floor plate to the gearbox to select low reverse / 2nd forwards.
I have It on good authority that the new owners were not aware of the emergency gears and were struggling with the electric selector when it lost electrical connection allowing the vehicle to run free backwards. I also understand that the main brakes were in poor condition as delivered.
My bad, I stand corrected. I must be confusing the Chieftain and the Centurion then. I know the Centurion is a dog to drive due to its transmission etc.