• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inherited a 77 M880 ... sandy color, registered as NGOUNG

autonovice

So .. I inherited a desert storm sandy color ... 77 M880 this past weekend.
I was excited since I last divorced from my 2 70 Cudas in the 80s, I never own
any Chrysler products. So first order is I need to figure out the proper way
to shift from Hi-Loc, Hi, Lo, Lo-Loc since I had to put it in 4WD
to load on to the trailer using small hill as a ramp!

Please help me w/ the proper sequence to engage the TC?
Do I do this in P or N? What is Lo-Loc means? engaging front axle?
What I should NOT do regarding engaging the TC?

Parts, parts, parts ... I will do my best to do research but any links post here
will be appreciated. I need dash, interior, external lamps, seats, grill

Advise on conversion to run on later Dodge Cummins engine ... can it be done?
should it be done? or restore the orig 318 and keep orig for historical sake.

Thanks in advance.

militarytrux

good morning, I have always shifted mine into and out of the loc positions while in park. Most if not all of the parts you may need can be obtained at the local parts store as there is nothing fancy about an M880, some of them run the heavy duty altenator / generator with external power source on the truck body somewhere. I would consider power steering unless you already have it in there?
1) if your 318 is in need of any major repair I would junk it and install a 360, 318's are a dime a dozen and rather than spend good $ on it you would be better just swapping it out.
2) dual exhaust is a must for any small block chrysler, 2 1/2" pipe with good mullers and you will be happy with the gains.
3) if you plan on keeping the truck and actually putting some miles on it consider an MSD ignition upgrade, they make an MSD 5 that is a direct fit for all chrysler ignitions, simply unplug your electronic module and plug the cable into the MSD box run power and ground to the MSD box and you're done. instant starts and prefromace gains are well worth the $ you can find them on e-bay for under $100.00.
4) Cummins swap???? at a minimum you will need to install a 4" to 6" lift kit on the truck to clear the front diff from the Cummins oil pan, motor mounts will need to be made, and I'm not sure (but I would say) connecting the Cummins to the stock 727 trans may present a challange and cost a few $ to get the correct adapter plate and you will also have to make sure the geometry is correct or she will shake rattle and come apart, just saying it would be easier to leave the trans and transfer where they are and connect the engine to them then fab the front mounts, I would also consider the 4BT engine since its smaller and lighter and may fit a bit better. you will also have to consider your axle ratio @ 4:10 with the diesel you may need a taller tire to keep the engine in a comfortable RPM range for highway speed.

I could go on and on but I babbled enough, I like the M880's and have owned many of them, if your body and frame are in good shape I would swap in a 4BT the drive train and engine are easy to modify / replace.

Good luck,,,,

ida34

As to the TC engagement, you have a full time 4x4 setup. If the back starts spinning it will send the power up front. To change to lo range I would do it in park or neutral. If you are just going from Hi to Hi loc you can do it anytime. Basically there is a differential in the t case that divides the power from front to rear to try to maintain traction. When you shift into loc you are bypassing the differential action and locking the front and rear. This means the front and rear turn no matter what.

autonovice

thanks guys ... learning a lot already.

This site is cool and full of infos.

I was a Chrysler mechanic in my old days... did all the recalls on the 2.2L cam problems
when K car first came out. So seeing a 318 bring back old memory.

So mod out the engine to a diesel or 360 wont insult any purist? I am bit of a car buff but
I believe in mod out but with only parts from the same manufacturer.

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So mod out the engine to a diesel or 360 wont insult any purist?
Sure it will offend purists, but they don't own your truck, you do.
Besides M880 series truck purists are far & few between.
pick below of one of mine, only mods are a civi receiver hitch, an inline fuel filter and humvee tires.
It may be low on power but will push through bumper deep mud & snow :-D

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, I have an M880 that I'm taking the contact maintenance body off. If interested it needs to go!

autonovice

if your body and frame are in good shape I would swap in a 4BT the drive train and engine are easy to modify / replace.

Good luck,,,,
From searchin on the net ... Iveco made diesel from 86-91 that used the 727 trans.
I dont know too much about iveco and which engine comes w/ 727 trans.
But this would be the cheapest way to convert my M880 to diesel if there is
a 200HP avail. Any comments on this would be appreciated.

Also from the net ... cummins are too much (torque) for the M880 drive train.
I would have to swap out all the gearing also. It seems best to use early
Dodge + Cummins 24V engine. Conversion is expensive too.

autonovice

So ... It finally passed CA smog with flying color! I didt have to do much except adjust timing to 0TDC, ad just the idle and tighten up my carb. The prev owner had the truck tuned then left
in storage for 2 years. The engine oil is still clean!

Question ... What should be the optimal tune-up setting? I found this on the internet.
Is it 10BTDC?
700RPM idle?
loosen the carb half turn from the point the carb needles tighten and the engine
starts to decrease RPM at idle?

Next up, alternator is not charging, belts, brakes need bleeding and misc stuff to get it reliable on the road.

autonovice

Hey cool truck dude where in the bay area are you located ? i live in santa clara
I am up in Somoma County.

I also found a 77 truck 2WD w/ sllding rear window. It is in riverside near LA. I want
that sliding window bad plus the seller wants to get rid of the whole truck
for cheap. I can drive down w/ my flat bed and tow it back but I dont have storage space. It has a 360 in it now and the cab & bed looks good. Let me know if you
want to go in for parts.