• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed remote brake reservoir today

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the master cylinder caps are already tapped for a 1/8 fitting, makes the install a little easier.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was tapped and a vent installed. I just removed the vent a put in an elbow. Since this is my only truck, I just ASSuMEd they were all like that.

Ferro cut the hose nipple off of his plastic reservior and installed a fitting for copper line. I didn't go that way, I just used rubber and copper.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice install Dug! I was debating putting it in the cab, but I usually put a 24in pipe wrench in that corner, and I could see me bashing the reservior off with it.

JDToumanian

I put mine behind the driver's seat, using existing holes from where a fire extinguisher was mounted. I plumbed it all in copper, and the line is inclined downward all the way to the reservoir, so it will not trap air. The valve and fitting are there so I can shut off the reservoir, remove the little flare cap, and attach a Recovry4x4 style power bleeder for brake maintenance. Works great!

Attachments

Billy Bobbed

This will be a project I'm going to do.I think by the drivers side is the best place.When you get in the truck look over there it is.This will be a nice up grade.

Last edited:

flyxpl

If the plastic line would work you would have the advantage of seeing air bubbles and presence of fluid and could use a homade container that was not clear .If the fluid in the hose droped you would know you had a problem . I think I will give it a try . I have a hard time paying for a container when I throw away all kinds of containers every day .

flyxpl

2centsI would not use brake air line for this!

It appears to me that some of the reservoirs that are being installed is made out of the same plastic that the plastic line is made out of . What is your concern . If the dot 5 does not attack the plastic reservoir the line should be ok .

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
Did a little reading on this before answering this! they do make a plastic line for brakes/ clutch use. But the air lines like are used on my road tractor will not hold up to prolonged exposure to brake fluid! so if you want to go plastic make sure you get a line rated for that use! I prefer metal but that is just me!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just don't use a swivel fitting on the top of the master cylinder, it will leak. You will still have brakes though. It will leak to the M/C level then stop.

Kohburn

Did a little reading on this before answering this! they do make a plastic line for brakes/ clutch use. But the air lines like are used on my road tractor will not hold up to prolonged exposure to brake fluid! so if you want to go plastic make sure you get a line rated for that use! I prefer metal but that is just me!
I bought my parts through mcmaster-carr. made sure everything was rated for hydraulic fluid.

Bill W

Heck I just used fuel hose for my resevoir
I know with Dot 3 fluid it would not work but my system is Dot 5, however I did soak a piece of the hose in Dot 5 for over 3 months and it was fine so I used it and no problems to date

Attachments

Smokinyoda

I am also doing this mod, but went soft line instead of hard line.

Bought the:

74-206 Cap
74-204 Reservoir
74-208 Clamp
74-212 Mount Bracket

from
www.porterfield-brakes.com for $22 shipped. The website charges you $16 for shipping, just email them and they will adjust it. Got mine shipped for free!

Had trouble finding the elbow local, without having to piece together 4 different fittings so bought off ebay here: Elbow Brass Barb Fitting 3/8" Hose x 1/8" NPT Fuel Boat - eBay (item 190433238562 end time Feb-15-11 13:46:57 PST)

Had alot of trouble finding the hose. Most auto part stores (including napa) wanted to sell me fuel line. So after alot of research I learned that the compressed air hose we use at work was perfect. As a matter of fact thats what pegasus sends you when you order it from them. As long as its made of EPDM your good. This is what I used and what pegasus racing sends out: "GATES ADAPTA FLEX MULTI-PURPOSE 3/8 INCH HOSE"

Hope this info saves someone the many hours of searching I went through.
:beer:

Last edited: