• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installing my glowplug button - few ?'s

ida34

If you are frying glow plugs fast you need to find the reason before doing the bypass. I understand that your controller might have fried and the bypass is necessary now but find out why the glow plugs fried so fast. I don't think the controller could have taken out the glow plugs unless it was not shutting off and running them all the time. Most of the time the controller just goes bad and will not trip the relay. Crack open the -20 and do the glow plug system diagnostic tree chart. The manual is under the resources tap.

Mtrdrms

Thanks ida34. I have to go through the steps with the truck but just from reading it, it seems I may have a bad resistor. I could have sworn I was getting 24 volts at the red wire on the relay.

Andy

mangus580

Thanks ida34. I have to go through the steps with the truck but just from reading it, it seems I may have a bad resistor. I could have sworn I was getting 24 volts at the red wire on the relay.

Andy
You ALWAYS will without the load of 8 good glow plugs...

It is quite rare that the resistor fails.....

Wartburg

Take it from a guy who knows.... Removing the card and installing a switch = ****ty starting. I have had 3 sweet CUCV's and two of them the card was not working and I installed the "switch". Yeah they start but they start so much better with the stock system. I have done some looking and I found a controller for glow plugs for 40 bucks. If your stock system goes to **** just get a new controller or use this thing.... Trust me a controller works 100 times better.

http://shortlinks.net/jag119
I am interested in installing the glow plug kit but after looking at them do not know if I want to go with the 12v system for $57 or go with the 24V system for 74+. the 12 volt plugs are easer to find and If I am changing it out for a different glow plug system anyway. What would you guys do?

jakwi

Take it from a guy who knows.... Removing the card and installing a switch = ****ty starting. I have had 3 sweet CUCV's and two of them the card was not working and I installed the "switch". Yeah they start but they start so much better with the stock system. I have done some looking and I found a controller for glow plugs for 40 bucks. If your stock system goes to **** just get a new controller or use this thing.... Trust me a controller works 100 times better.

http://shortlinks.net/jag119
This link doesn't work anymore, does anyone know what the manufacturer and part number for this is?

never mind I just found it.
http://www.fourthgen.net/timerscartEPS.shtml

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks