• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

IP problems LDS-465-M52A2

gusto1

I need to have the IP replaced/rebuilt.
I would like to take it off the truck myself to deliver it to the mechanic and install it back myself.

I found some info on troubleshooting the IP.
I can't seem to find any info on taking it off and putting it back on the motor.

I feel sure it needs to line up somehow for the timing.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Gus

gusto1

I just purchased the truck from GL. The cover under the wheel well to view the IP pump was removed.
I have never had the truck runing since I have owned it.
I drained the old fuel (which smelled like turpintine) and replaced the filters and have clean fuel running to the IP
I am getting plenty of fuel getting to the IP from the electric pump.
The fuel cutoff lon the IP ooks correct.
I took a line off above the hydralic head and am not getting a drop of fuel out when I spin the motor over.
I have heard it run on starting fluid for just a second or two when I spin the motor over so I feel the IP has gone bad.

Thanks,
Gus

scooter01922

I could be wrong but i'm 99% sure that i have heard of the fuel shutoff sticking closed after long peroids of inactivity. Looks fine from the outside but the rod you see moving on the outside may not be moving the internal mechanism. May be a simple matter of pulling the little side cover off and freeing it up.

Last edited:

JDToumanian

Another thing, there are several different checks you can do to the IP yourself... One involves determining if the plunger in the hydraulic head is moving up and down. There's a little plug screwed into the top of the hydraulic head in the middle of the circle of injector pipes that radiate out from it. After cleaning the area, you remove this plug, and stick something (like a pencil?) in there and crank the engine... If the plunger is working you'll see this object moving up and down. Do a search, something like "hydraulic head plunger" and you will find the posts.

From what I can tell, total IP failures are rare... Usually it's something simple that can be fixed yourself without removing it from the engine. Long periods of sitting around causes things to get stuck, but the solutions are pretty simple. Everything you need to know is right here on this site. Save yourself the trouble and expense!

Jon

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would start with what Scooter was saying. Take off that cover with 2 screws and see if the arm moves freely. That was problematic on my latest truck. If that lever moves back and forth effortlessly, go on to what Jon was talking about.

gusto1

I still need some help.
I checked the fuel shut off by unscewing the 2 scews and the lever is ponting forward with spring tension. I was able to play with it to make sure it went back. That is good.

I took the screw out of the center of the hydralic head, stuck a small allen wrench in, had my son turn the moter over, the plunger did not move.

I took the allen wrench and tapped the plunger (I think it went about 1/2" down) it did not come back up. With the fuel turned off at fuel cut off on the IP. It looked as if fuel was squirting thru the center of the plunger when the moter was turning over. But the plunger would not move.

I guess I need to remove the hydralic head. I have never done this before. I know I need to line up some arrows somewhere and probably replace spring and clips. Could the SS crew give me pointers.

Thanks,
Gus
:roll:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plunger is spring loaded and a broken spring is possible or the spring "keepers" may be out of place, either way you need to take the hydraulic head off to fix. The instructions are pretty clear in the TM and after you take it out, don't turn the engine over, it will upset your timing. TM 9-2910-226-34 or TM 9-2910-226-35 are what you need.

Note: When checking the plunger, make sure all surroundings are squeaky clean, micron size hard particles can score the lapped surfaces within.

gusto1

Hydralic head

The plunger in the hydralic head is not moving up and down when the motor is spinning over. I took a punch and tapped it. It moved down and did not come back up.
I am trying to take off the hydralic head to check the spring, etc.
I removed the fuel lines, bolts, and stud sleeves.
The head will spin but not come off.
Do I need to set the timing on the pump before the hydralic head will come off? I can't seem to find the answer in the TM.
Thanks,
Gus

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gus,
The first step is to remove the fuel shut-off cover and the pull the fuel cut-off assy (image below). Next turn the engine over until the marked tooth lines up with the mark (image below). Only then can you pull the hydraulic head and it goes straight up, no turning.
After the hydraulic head is off, do not turn the engine over or you will have to reset the timing.
The plunger return spring is installed with "keepers", like the ones you find on valve springs and if the spring is broken, they may be loose inside the IP along with parts of the spring, so be careful and keep track of all the parts.

Edit: For full resolution, right click on the image and "open link in new window".

Attachments

Last edited:

Massm35a2

I've replaced mine before. It should just pull out. Make sure you pulled the fuel plunger off 1st. It will not come out if the plunger assem. is still in place

gusto1

I took out the hydralic head. The plunger sticks. I put some penatrating oil to loosen it up.
I'll check it in a few hours. I may just get another hydralic head. I have to take my vice to compress the plunger, then tap it back down with a small wood dowel to get it to move.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plunger is lapped to fit in its bore....within a few microns.
Rust particles from the old fuel tank can make it through the filters and cause it to stick.
Compress the spring and remove the "keepers" to free it (images in a previous post) then check all the parts for signs of scoring etc.

gusto1

New Hydralic Head

I just put on a hydralic head on the M52 (LDS-4651A). Something is not working correctly.
When I try to start the truck with the engine turning over fuel is being sent to the center of the HH and the plunger is going up and down. I cracked one of the fuel lines on top of the hydralic head and the other lines at the injectors, but no fuel coming out of the HH to the fuel lines.

HELP!!!!!:?:

Thanks,
Gus

AceHigh

Ditto. I was driving along smoothly and suddenly lost power, couldn't restart. Fuel to the injector pump, a small amount going to each injector.

Turned out to be the fuel shut off had jumped out of place inside the housing. Cheap fix but frustrating.

gusto1

I wish I had some mechanical skills!
I still can't get the FU#$%#@@ Hydralic Head to send fuel to the injectors.
The plunger is going up and down, fuel is on top of the plunger when the motor spins over.
HELP!!!!:cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks