• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it legal to acquire slave cables and surplus tires?

The Swamphare

I want to add a slave cable to my 1009 CUCV but I don't know if this is an item still in use; are there parts like this which the DOD still uses but are legally available as surplus, as well?

Attachments

RAYZER

i just bought a slave cable for $75.00, i see them on ebay every once and awhile, there are two styles, two pin side by side and two pin (nato style) pin in center,you can also get the plug that goes on the truck (i have one extra),i have seen these on the m35a2's and such(24 volts ) is yours 24v?

M813A1

You can buy brand new slave cable from Mark at RAPCO Parts for roughly $ 85.00
or do like I did and I bought 2 slave cable ends and then went to the local welding supply shop and bought some 4ga. cable and made my set !!

wikallen

I have 2 CUCV & both of them have Slave Cable in them.
I stop the other day to get fuel and there was an M998 hummer there that NG unit refueling point & it would not start an SFG came over & ask me if I had slave cable and to slave off my M1028A2 He?? Ya no problem he thought it was cool to get help from an civ
I told him any thing to help to be mission essential & to Be MC.
He thank me & ask for my name & address & prazed me for workmen ship on my M1028A2
& the shape that in.:driver:

That was a difficult read first thing in the morning.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to add a slave cable to my 1009 CUCV but I don't know if this is an item still in use; are there parts like this which the DOD still uses but are legally available as surplus, as well?

I just read the 13th amendment and it does not include anything about owning slave cables. I think it's ok.

Snarky

What is so difficult to read it the NG SFG needed An jump he had no Slave cable in Hummv Need to jump it off to get back to the UNIT Maint the alt did not charge the battery's I help Him out to get him going & any thing to help out military service personnel out At ANY TIME IS OUR DUTY
As I SERVED.
I like how I can understand this one even less then the first one.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Off topic but owner ship of slave cable there is no law.
Some times you need to read very close.
Help others when needed.
I was on my Home I needed fuel so I stop at local Fuel stop.
1 I help an National Guard E7 SFC
2 His Humvee did not start after he refuel it at the local fuel stop.
3 He approached Me & ask I had Slave Cable I said yes I do.
4 He said He need A JUMP to Start His EQUIPMENT or as we would say Hummer.
5 I help him out he was very great full in stead of waiting 4 hr or more for an recovery vehicle to get him.
6 He ask my name & address Ph no: to send letter of Support to the ANG unit that he is from.
7 He also thought I kept My M1028A2 in tip top shape & it is still Original Mil Spec 24V & 12V
Hybred system.

So I help Be caused it is the right thing to do to get him on the way Back to his unit.
him & his PFC were very glad to have Help from from AN CIVILIAN on the road.
So I ask should I had help or leave them stranded.
I opp to help them in Support of all are U.S. MILITARY.
VOTE on this.

Last edited:

Jones

No problems with ownership or use.

Go with the one pin NATO type for sockets and cables. They're current issue, and relatively easy to find parts for.
If you want to make your own custom length ones; Austin Aviation (beltfed34) on ebay has the ends.

The older two-pin style has been phased out by the military and you need an adapter to make them work with the NATO stuff. The two pin cables are pretty cheap but the adapters are the pricey parts to find.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's it. I've been looking for a cause to take up and now I've found one.

FREE THE SLAVE CABLES!

:D

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It's ok to have a slave cable as long as it understands that you are the master cable.
Now that funny......I don't care who you are.rofl

If you buy the NATO end cable be sure to get the adaptors....Murphy's law dictates that if you do not have them every truck you try to slave off will have the older two pin setup.

A lot of trucks coming out of GL and GSA were never converted to NATO.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I'm not gonna do the "quote" thingy and I'm not gonna get up on the soap box...but I'm gonna make this statement:

To those who made the snide comments on the posts made by cjtroutt...I just think that is inappropriate.
Obviously....the posts do not flow like a novel...but maybe he isn't a novelist.

What I read....was a good troop trying to help out a soldier in need and with just a slight bit of effort was able to see that he did exactly that.[thumbzup]

I post things on here and come back the next day and read the post and think...."Holy Farkel Batman!!! what was I thinking when I wrote that??"

The point of this exercise is to say....we are not all good posters...spellers, english majors ETC., and so on and so on and Scubby Doobie Doo!!!....But we are all welcome to post to the best of our ability without getting flack because we didn't dot the "I"s or cross the "T"s.

:deadhorse:fat lady sings

ABN173

The point of this exercise is to say....we are not all good posters...spellers, english majors ETC., and so on and so on and Scubby Doobie Doo!!!....But we are all welcome to post to the best of our ability without getting flack because we didn't dot the "I"s or cross the "T"s.
(I hope you don't mind I did Quote you though PB:D) I'm no English Major myself, in fact I'm just a 11B that somehow got selected to be a Warrant Officer(still trying to figure out how that happened:mrgreen:) , Heck I just have a GED instead of HS diploma.

Anyways I'm going to let you all in on a lil secret I use on everything. It's called "Tiny Spell" which is a always running spell check program that underlines all misspelled words in ANY typing window, even our very own chat room. I can't tell you how simple this program is! All you do is right click the misspelled word and small box pops up with the correct spellings to choose from. This is FREE software used by both legal and medical transcribers. This is no gimmick, just a suggestion from a fellow Steel Soldiers member.

Check spelling with tinySpell: a tiny portable free spell checker

Dale