• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

is it OK to leave the front hub locked when patches of ice are expected

CUCVLOVER

Hello all.
I was wondering if with all this ice and snow we are getting here in west tn, it would be OK to leave the front hubs locked in while out and about in my m1008 with 33 inch tires where ice patches are expected? If the roads happen to be clear I would unlock them but if the Roads aren't i could leave them locked and use 4x4 when needed.
Most of the roads I run are posted 45 or less and most trips are 20 miles total.
So if y'all say it will scrap my front diff then I guess I'll just get in and out.

Thank you all

Gunzy

Shouldn't hurt anything. You may use a little more fuel though, otherwise there should be no issues. Most of the new 4X4 trucks don't have locking hubs anymore, my 2014 F150 doesn't

CUCVLOVER

Porky place
Should be fine , better to have them locked on icy roads than trying to get them to engage while stuck .
Thanks.

Gunzy.
Thank. I didn't know the new ford didn't have locking hubs. When did they stop I know the ones that had the 6.0 diesel did but I don't know much about ford.

Gunzy

Most all the new 1/2 ton PU's have no locking hubs. The 3/4 and 1 ton trusk in some case's still do.

Assel

I do lock them even in Summer ..just sometimes for a few minutes to "keep everything running" ...for sure I dont engage 4wd on asphalt ^^ PO of my CUCV told me to lock them in Winter, so no jumping in&out while being stucked at a steep icy hill :p

and less Fuel mileage? rather keep looking on the Injection system, Aircleaner, fuel filters etc... That CUCV´s are almost as aerodynamic as a usual brick ...so i dont think this will take so much fuel that you notice it on MPG ...

CUCVLOVER

OK. Thank you. Ya I had it 4x4 earlier and it doesn't turn around to good on dry pavement.
When I had my truck at the tractor pull I locked in the hubs and used 4x4 low and when I turned around with was a tight turn the front end jumped around on the dirt because it was trying to pull so hard.

dmetalmiki

Whjen driving my F350 ambulance in icy conditions I leave the locking hubs " In " and just take it steady (ease off) if I have to make a tight turn.

cucvrus

I drive my CUCV's in the lock position from November until late April. I have on every truck I owned for 40 years. it never hurt a thing. I think it actually helps things like seals and outer u joints last longer. My opinion is things age faster while sitting idle then they do while they are in use. Thats my opinion. I have trucks with 200K on them that work just as good or better then low mileage trucks of the same vintage. The key is proper maintenance and fore thought.

Keith_J

Not an issue, unless you have a limited slip front as do some 1028s and the 1031s. Then it is just quirky steering at lower speeds since the knuckle drive shaft joint is a single Cardan universal joint, not a constant velocity affair. So the angular velocity differences in the carrier with hubs locked make it feel weird.

I leave mine locked in wet weather since my 1031 is parked off road and with street tires, it spins and slides. So in the sake of marital bliss, it is in 4WD when off the pavement.

acesneights1

Fuel mileage is minimal. The only issue is unnecessary wear on the u joints but what the heck, 2nd Gen Dodges have the same front axles without locking hubs so I would not worry but since your truck is almost 30 yrs old, just make sure the ujoints are in good order particularly the CV joint on the front driveshaft.

Keith_J

Funny Doghead.

Getting back lack to the hubs..easiest way to see how they work is to take them apart..which is annual maintenance issue per TM. They have to come off to access the bearings.

Best set way to answer your question. Just splines lining up which locks the shaft to hub.

Skinny

I agree, the front LSD in the my M1031 has some twitchy pulling and return to center with them locked in. Certainly keeps you awake behind the wheel. I've had front Detroits with less wheel feedback...strange.

You will want to make sure your front ujoints are greased if applicable and keep an eye on vibrations. Theoretically, you could run with the hubs locked in right up the top speed of the vehicle without any issues other than burning more fuel. I've found that the front driveshaft angle or condition is usually the limiting factor because it is short and operates at the highest angle. If you start to feel excessive vibrations than back off or remove it and have it checked. Also avoid pulling the 4wd lever if you are starting to slip, you want to be off the throttle while engaging 4wd at any speed.

CUCVLOVER

Oookkkiiiee ddoookkkiiiee.
I hear what ya said about pulling the 4x4. I figure that if you did engage 4x4 with the rear wheels spinning it could cause catastrophic failure to the transfer case. You got all those spinning parts and then you try to engage the stationary front drive train that's a recipe for major repairs.
I never hold the throttle down pull it back in 4x4 I don't want to have to rip apart the drive train.

Thanks yall

Skinny

With the hubs locked in, the front components aren't stationary. In theory, they are spinning at the same speed as the rear components. You should be able to pull the 4wd lever in HI range at ANY speed if front and rear are spinning at same rates. Now this is assuming you have the hubs locked in which is critical. It also assumes that you are not spinning the rearend faster than the front end while engaging like stuck on ice or in mud. This is when bad things happen. No matter how old the rig, if you follow this procedure it will glide right into 4wd with no problem.

Its getting into LO range gracefully that requires a little finesse and practice :)

CUCVLOVER

OK.
Sorry what I meant was if I was stuck with the front hubs locked in but the transfer case in 2 hi and I had was spinning the rear tires just say 40 mph or more an I yanked it back in 4x4 in my mind that would cause a failure of the t-case or something in the front diff.
I been rolling along a several times and taken it in and out of 4x4 with no issues. Low range can be a bit tricky. But no to bad I've used it a few times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks