• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is it worth obtaining OEM wheel stud nut wrench & handle for a M923?

frioman

I realize this is a simple question, but I'd like to ask y'all for advice. My M923 didn't have the bottle jack, handle, wrench, nothing.
So...what would you do? Would you try to find the OEM components or simply buy a socket, extension, breaker bar, at Northern Tool, etc.?
I have a glad hand and sufficient hose already set up.
Thanks.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The Basic Issue Item (BII) lug wrench is adequate at best but you can lose a lot of flesh using one if you aren't careful. My recommendation is a set of inch sockets with ratchet and pull handle, a long and short extension, a Bud Socket (made for Bud lug nuts and thimbles), a cheater pipe and a jackstand to rest the wrench on when breaking stubborn nuts. If you have a big air compressor and room to work spend the money and get a one inch impact gun. It will spin off just about any stubborn nut. Put at least a 3/4 inch air hose on it because they are air hogs. I have one line dedicated to my big wrench. Changing MV tires is a steep learning curve and there are lots of tricks to save yourself from a hernia. I had to take the super singles off my M923 when I swapped out the rear axle and it was all I could do to keep from getting mashed while I wrestled them around.

Csm Davis

Most of the stock tire tools are made by Ken-tool and readily available if I were going to be getting tools for emergency roadside use I would get the geared lug wrench and socket set, a air over hydraulic bottle jack, a Stanley or Klein multiple bit screwdriver, a Proto 3/4 7/8 flat ratcheting box end wrench, a 12" Crescent adjustable wrench, a 2lbs shop maul, road triangles, and 1000lbs or stronger chain fall or come along.

frioman

I appreciate the input. This is definitely helping. I was initially hesitant to ask such a simple question; however, now I'm glad I asked. I still welcome additional input if anyone would like to add to this.

Csm Davis

I forgot some type (air, battery, or plug in) of impact to spin the nuts off and back on I keep a standard 1/2" air line with a gladhand with a quick connect and a air impact and chuck and gage.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I dunno, a 1" drive impact weighs a lot and takes up a lot of space. A 3/4 drive gun should be sufficient for your needs. If you are worried about it, Break you lug nuts free while at home and put them back on to the correct torque. That way you will know the 3/4 gun can remove the lug nuts later on. I have used many javks and agree the air over hydraulic ones are "the bee's knees" for lifting stuff. I also carry a socket set with 3/8 and 1/2 drive sockets for when I need to swap out a fuel filter or if a belt gets thrown.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I Have a 3/4" impact wrench and 3/4" impact sockets that I use. You can get them at Harbor Freight and the HF 3/4" impact socket set comes with the square bud socket. HF also has bottle jacks.

When I had my Deuce, I changed tires just using the trucks air and the 3/4" impact wrench. I'm sure the 5 tons have a higher air CFM capacity so you should have no problem on the side of the road. 3/8" or bigger air hose should work fine.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would make sure you have a small 10 ton hydraulic jack that can work on its side,sure helped me at rally when I had to jack a dogbone back on.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you again for the valuable insight. The torque on the 923A1 appears to be 450-500 lb-ft.
I would like to see a test of any 3/4 inch impack that will do 500lb-ft or more if the stuff has been on awhile. I use the 1 inch air hammer for big trucks and 120 lb. air pressure. You would never see anything smaller used at a true truck tire shop. When on the road I carry the big truck 4way and a cheater bar cost of 80 dollars from NAPA and a 10 ton bottle jack.

randygk

We bought the 3/4" HF impact and it would not touch some of the deuce lugs. We then got the 1 " HF and it works great on a 1/2" hose.
Question -- If I use the glad hand and impact on the 5 ton, do I need to worry about the air pressure? The impact states 90psi max and the 5 ton produces 120psi.
Do I need a regulator or feather the brake pedal to maintain near 90psi. I've only used the impact on home air supply.
Thanks

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We bought the 3/4" HF impact and it would not touch some of the deuce lugs. We then got the 1 " HF and it works great on a 1/2" hose.
Question -- If I use the glad hand and impact on the 5 ton, do I need to worry about the air pressure? The impact states 90psi max and the 5 ton produces 120psi.
Do I need a regulator or feather the brake pedal to maintain near 90psi. I've only used the impact on home air supply.
Thanks
I wouldn't worry. Most air tools are 90psi max but we run all our air tools at our shop on 150psi. Never had a problem. If you are worried about it you could just buy a cheap regulator.

Amer-team

So what you are saying is that a glad hand and 1/2 inch hose will power the 1" impact gun, enough to take the lug nuts off?

One theory I have heard is to have a separate air tank, filled off your glad hand and then run a one inch hose off the separate tank and that will do it. I have the one inch gun, but not enough air (am using the 3/8" hoses) to make it go. So am getting the idea that If the volume of air getting to it goes up, it should work.
Thank you for the thoughts and ideas on this. We did a couple tires and wheels last weekend on the M923A1 and it was a breaker bar show, the 3/4" impact was able to loosen a few, but not all.

frioman

frioman

Any advice on the OEM chain pulley for getting lifting the spare tire? Have you seen these as well at Harbor Freight, or should I go with the original?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A very simple answer to the OPs question, NO as long as you have what is needed to change tires on the road while making the change as easy as possible.

Last edited:

91W350

I carry a 1" 42" long breaker bar and Budd sockets. I have not found a lug nut that bouncing my body weight on the bar has not broken, but I am a larger than normal man. Once broken, my 3/4 Milwaukee 18V impact will spin them right off and back on. On dual wheel trucks I carry a pork chop and a geared lug wrench.

When here at the shop our in our yard, we use a large diesel screw compressor that carries 150-160 psi easily and use a 1" impact wrench. It will zip them off with ease. I never really had a lot of luck with the truck air, it is pretty limited in capacity and takes a long time to recover. It works fine once the nut is broken loose or putting the wheels back on.

A lot of these wheels must have been put on by a GI that waited until the 1" gun quit moving the nut before he got off of the trigger as they are some kind of crazy tight. Way over any wheel torque spec I know of.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks