• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is there a better glow plug temp sensor than the stock one?

m1garand_man

I am wondering if there is a better glow plug temp sensor out there than the stock one. It's also called a coolant temp sensor in the TM. Reason I ask is because I have the common problem where I try to restart my truck after its been sitting for 15-45 minutes and have trouble getting it to start. The glow plugs dont come on because the coolant will be over the approximate 125*f that the sensor will only trip if its below. I have a NOS sensor in there now.

What I end up having to do is disconnect the sensor and turn the key to run to get the plugs to come on for 2-4 seconds and then plug the connector back in and crank it up. its a pain to have to do.

I have been considering putting a switch in the cab to cut power to the sensor in these instances but I'm wondering if ther is a less drastic measure.

I have never experienced hard starts like this in a HMMVWW but I also have a gear reduction starter in the truck too.

Wolf.Dose

As far as I kw, there is no siutaable replacement for the water temperature sensor. The ohm value must fit to the glow plug module. And that is the problem due to experiance.
On the other hand, at 125 F water temp the engine should start without glowing. Are your injectors ok? Correct opening pressure at about 12.5 MPa? IP delivers cufficient pressure? Compression ok? Starting rpm at about 200 rpm?
Hope this helps.
Wolf

m1garand_man

Well the injectors and injection pump on the truck are new but it has always had a bit of a hard warm start problem. I put in some crappy wellman 070 glow plugs and the problem got worse. I replaced them with AC 60G's and the starting problem whent away. only wierd unexplanable thing is how can glow plugs even effect a warm start problem where the engine is so warm that even the voltage dosnt drop when you turn the key to run?

Zero_cool

I replace the glow plugs in my 1028 the winter before last with 60gs.
It has been working great ever since but now they stay on for 35 seconds on my morning starts.
The air temp doesnt seam to change this -30 or +80 its allways 35 seconds unless i plug my block heater in then its only 8 seconds.
My high idle also stays on for about 1-2 minutes no matter what the air temp is.
Unless Its pluged in.
Glow plugs checked out ok
Controller card checked out ok
I bought a new temp sensor from Champion auto Part # WT3000 Is this the correct one?
I didnt find a replacement part number with search and the CUCV TMs part number came up as a starter @ Champion.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
10045847 is the TM part number, and if your parts supply house tell you that's a starter, I'd shop somewhere else.

A search for "WT3000" pulls up 3 threads(looks like it is the right sensor).

BTW, I searched for "glow plug temp sensor" and "temp sensor, and "temperature sensor" and found dozens of threads listing the number. What words did you search for?

Last edited: