• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this a starter solenoid? Clicks but no power to starter.

MIDDLEMAN

Starter problem

I have power from the start switch to the outside small wire post . I believe the starter solenoid is bad since nothing passes to the starter when the post powers up. Where does a guy find a new one?? I have browsed through some military parts suppliers online with no luck or does anyone have a part number for it or cross over to a aftermarket? M925A2

Last edited:

therooster2001

There are a couple around, even on the Bay, but is from China, but then again, they all might have been from China.

Sure it's not the Black Box? Have you manually retracted it or zip tied closed?

MIDDLEMAN

I can get it started by jumping from the hot big terminal from the batteries over to the starter hot post with a jumper cable, which runs the starter but doesn't engage the bendix. But if I then climb back in the cab and turn the start lever it fires instantly??? If I shut it off, I have to do the same thing over again to start it. I looked on ebay earlier but didn't see any solenoids listed?

74M35A2

I sell upgraded modern gear reduction starters. They have the small solenoid built directly onto them, so you can bypass the PCB circuit for this completely, and reroute the crank wire from the dash switch directly to the starter, and done. Or simply use as-is. They weigh 1/2 of stock, 1/3 smaller, and draw 50 amps less current. Anybody that has one, loves it.

When you cross both large B+ studs at your starter now, it will do exactly as you say. Energize the motor, but not throw the pinion out. If you want to manually activate the starter from under the hood, use a medium size jumper wire from the starter solenoid battery cable stud connected to the smaller wire connection coming from the solenoid.

Last edited:

lindsey97

I sell upgraded modern gear reduction starters. They have the small solenoid built directly onto them, so you can bypass the PCB circuit for this completely, and reroute the crank wire from the dash switch directly to the starter, and done. Or simply use as-is. They weigh 1/2 of stock, 1/3 smaller, and draw 50 amps less current. Anybody that has one, loves it.

When you cross both large B+ studs at your starter now, it will do exactly as you say. Energize the motor, but not throw the pinion out. If you want to manually activate the starter from under the hood, use a medium size jumper wire from the starter solenoid battery cable stud connected to the smaller wire connection coming from the solenoid.
Shouldn't someone be advising these people that if you are going to be trying to start your truck from under the hood, and NOT in the driver's seat, That this is unsafe and possibly deadly. Please make sure your truck is in neutral, parking brake set, or wheels chocked, and proceed with extreme caution when attempting to start ANY piece of machinery from any other position BESIDES the driver's seat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks