• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Is this wheel unusable?

nairb

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought 5 new wheels/tires and one has been damaged, it would be a spare but not sure it’s even good for that. Does anyone sell just the half of the wheel I would need to repair?

IMG_3294.jpeg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had an emergency at say 2-3AM you would crank like hell and HOPE you can wake up that grey haired lady that lived in the central office.
But it would not be long many of your neighbors on that party line would wake up, pick up the phone and see if they could help.
Those were the days!!!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought 5 new wheels/tires and one has been damaged, it would be a spare but not sure it’s even good for that. Does anyone sell just the half of the wheel I would need to repair?
Sure enough that wheel needs to be scrapped! (some of the holes are so big that the lug nuts will bottom out long before tightening the wheel)

I think you should be able to find a good-used (paired) 24-bolt wheel, for a reasonable price.
If not, and being just for a spare, I would use a 12-bolt outer wheel half like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/M998-HMMWV...50-LB-2530-01-417-8450-12460178-/333498950485
Just knock out any other bolt of the inner half. Or drill 12 more holes in it, if you wanted all 5 wheels to look alike.
You will also need a different valve stem, if using that 12-bolt wheel.

PM is on its way....

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would go back to the seller and tell him one rim is no good, unless you knew that beforehand.
Otherwise put a want in the classified section.
IIRC I have 7-8 of those 24 bolt "paired" rims so if nobody else has an acceptable solution I can check.
I have a stack of 8 bolt wheels/tires.
Ciao

thoner7

I have a good set of paired 24 bolt rims with the old tires and run flats. I’m not sure if I’d want to separate and be left with only 3, but can I ask what you paid per wheel?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bet things have changed over there.
There was nothing but 25 miles from LH to Georgetown, I mean a farm house or two and that was it.
There was also about 40 miles of nothing between LH and Austin, Ceder Park was nothing but a gravel "rest area" with a couple concrete tables and a few trees.
IIRC they had installed one flashing light on 29 in LH just before I moved.
There was a 4 way stop sign at 29 and 183, not even a flashing light and there was an old gas station and a mom and pop "western" store catty corner to the gas station, and that was it on 183 for many miles in ether direction.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, I’ll scrap it and post in the wanted and see if anyone nearby has one to let go of. Not in rush as I can use one of my 12bolts for a spare for now.

@Mogman blue hole is now private, ruined by people leaving trash. The 183 toll is set to come all the way 29 by next summer.
We had an old Constable that drove a 62 Bel-Air, he was a trip, did not like confrontation, if I blew past him on my motorcycle he would sometimes eventually get to wherever I was going and lecture me on the evils of speed.
One time there were 6-8 of us girls and boys skinny dipping in Blue Hole, there was a bank on the north side of Blue Hole, he came down there and from the cover of that bank he hollered that some one had called the law on us and we better skedaddle:ROFLMAO:

GopherHill

I bet things have changed over there.
There was nothing but 25 miles from LH to Georgetown, I mean a farm house or two and that was it.
There was also about 40 miles of nothing between LH and Austin, Ceder Park was nothing but a gravel "rest area" with a couple concrete tables and a few trees.
IIRC they had installed one flashing light on 29 in LH just before I moved.
There was a 4 way stop sign at 29 and 183, not even a flashing light and there was an old gas stating and a mom and pop "western" store catty corner to the gas station, and that was it on 183 for many miles in ether direction.
I remember that. Those were the days in Austin when you could get to work in 5minutes. Later, I sure enough got out.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember that. Those were the days in Austin when you could get to work in 5minutes. Later, I sure enough got out.
Does that Texas Eastern compressor sta. rattle your house in Thomaston? That was one of my sites on and off for 37 years.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, I can rarely hear it. Cold clear winter nights I can hear a little engine noise. Those engines are really old but still running.
They were bought used in the 40s 2cycle NG some are Coopers IIRC they spend allot of time complying with emission standards, actually a small set of compressors by Texas Eastern standards (Now Enbridge) they have a 120,000 Hp station in Robstown TX most powerful in the northern hemisphere, they pump 2-3 BCF a day to Mexico

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my 12-bolt rims, the inner wheel part was fine, but one of the outer parts was in bad shape. I was able to buy just the outer part (parts manual had the part number, and either Kascar or MacMotors had it in stock.). You might get lucky and be able to do the same with the 24-bolt and only buy the half you need. (Someday I'll make a shop clock out of the bad one..). LOL.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks