• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeep "Commando" in Army Service

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not being a Jeep expert I am looking for info on Army Jeep "commando's" A local guy has one for sale and it is a configured as a litter carrier and has military markings, canvas roof and sides. It is dated 1969 but I can't find any "M" vehicle info on these. He said they were pressed into service in Vietnam but I never saw then during my service. Is this a fake military vehicle? I don't have a picture but should have taken a few.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To my knowledge the Jeep Commando was never used by any branch of the US service, nor by any foreign military either. It's probably just a hobbyist who had a Commando, and painted it to "play the role". Like the guys who paint CJ-2As and CJ-3As to portray a M38, or those who use their CJ-5s to play M38A1s. Not authentic, would never win a judging contest, but they are still fun, so who are we to judge?

KaiserM109

To my knowledge the Jeep Commando was never used by any branch of the US service, nor by any foreign military either. It's probably just a hobbyist who had a Commando, and painted it to "play the role". Like the guys who paint CJ-2As and CJ-3As to portray a M38, or those who use their CJ-5s to play M38A1s. Not authentic, would never win a judging contest, but they are still fun, so who are we to judge?
I believe you are absolutely right.

That model of Commando (short hood) was manufactured from about 1967 to 1971. I've owned 2 of them and still have one in pieces parked behind my MKT-85 trailer. I'm at the wrong computer or I'd add some pictures of mine, but here's one I Googled.

Commando.jpg

A Commando was basically a modified CJ-5. The frame and powertrains were identical and the tub was a throwback to the Jeepster of the late '40s. It had a different hood and short wings welded onto the grill to widen it and the turn signals were moved out onto the wings. Title said "Jeepster Commando", so I got a cheaper insurance rate.

The really interesting thing about it was that they bought a 225 CUID V6 from Buick known as the "Oddfire V6" because the cylinders were 90 degrees apart like a V8. It fired 3 times 90 degrees apart, skipped a beat fired 3 more times and skipped another beat. It had a MONSTER flywheel to carry it through. The 1978 Buick 232 was the last Oddfire V6.

In 1972 they stretched the nose (UGLY!!) and put an AMC V8 in it. That model only lasted 2 r 3 more years. During the early years they make a short cab and put a partition behind the front seat, making it a short bed pickup. It looked like a 4 wheel drive Ranchero. I have both tops for mine.

Bill W

Maybe he means the "International Commando" ( Scout 800 series ? ) used by the Military branches as a Base vehicle, I've seen these as 4 x2's and 4 x 4 configuation, I missed out on a 4 x 4 version here locally about a 2yrs ago for $700 the seller sold it to a vietnam vet who scarfed it up about 4 hrs after he listed it on CL. These vehicles do have a military data plate on the glove box I just don't remember their designation.

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To be fair, yes there were probably a few purchased by GSA and used on base as "grocery getters" just around the base. However, it would have remained in civilian paint jobs, not repainted a subdued color and doctored up with a lot of tactical options. I have also seen an IH Scout and a Ford Bronco of similar vintage (late 60s, early 70s) that were GSA purchased vehicles, and had the govt. data plate on the inside glove box, but as I said, original civilian garb only.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's why I started this thread. Too much that did make sense to me. It has a AN/VRC-12 radio set mounted in the back, not connected to anything. That set required 24 volt and that jeep is 12 volt. The antennas are wrong for the radios, the hood number is the VIN Number and that never happens, plus all the stuff attached and not connected like the siren and black-out light.

What someone did do a good job on is the canvas top and the litter racks and even the radio rack. They look like they belong. Someone was a good fabricator and had a good shop to make the canvas.