• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just got a Deuce from GL...

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vendetta, Don't fret over my comments on the S.A. trucks. I bought mine from there. Drove it home but the tranny was a problem and I have a replacement. It did start right up and had good batteries. Others I previewed did not. Bring air for the front tire. Also, I found the S.A. GL folks to be very cooperative. Good luck.

Vendetta

Vendetta, Don't fret over my comments on the S.A. trucks. I bought mine from there. Drove it home but the tranny was a problem and I have a replacement. It did start right up and had good batteries. Others I previewed did not. Bring air for the front tire. Also, I found the S.A. GL folks to be very cooperative. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice... I'm hoping that it won't be as bad as I'm imagining it to be now...

I don't suppose you looked at this one while you were on the lot did you? If so did you have any other info on other problems you may have noticed?

Thanks again guys

RANDYDIRT

V. It's always good! Your recovery is not an end all. It's a start of a great adventure. One of the highlights of my
ordeal was meeting ARYANKEE. He helped me alot. We even almost found the "Magic Dumpster of Tossed Deuce Parts!!!

Vehicle recovery is something you will never forget. Have your friends go with you. This will not only get them involved, it will make them envious. Then someday they will step up and buy one and have to ask YOU for help!

Not everyone is cut out for the risk of buying, recovering and restoring a piece of history.... But I think you will do just fine. Man up and quit with all the doubting. You will do great.

Dirt

Last edited:

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry V. While I looked at quite a few deuces, I only really focused on one since it was the only one up for auction at the time. Good luck.

Green_gator

I think that I have a spare 60 psi oil gauge in my parts box. I swapped out for the 120 gauge that mine needed. Let me know and I can send it to you. My truck came out of San Antonio and looked a lot rougher then yours and has given me or the current owner no problems. Needed a few hours of work to get it up and running but the Texas NG folks at Camp Bullis were very helpful. I have made four long recovery drives home with new deuces but would not recommend that route if you can transport for an acceptable price. Way to many things that can and do go wrong on a long drive in an old vehicle when you do not know the maintenance history.

Motorcar

Vendetta, I previewed your truck with a buddy two weeks ago at Fort Sam. Good news and some bad, the one you got 7113 and 7111 were my picks of that group. I didn't attempt to start any so I can't help you with that. 7113 was what seemed to be in the best overall condition. I think there was a top in the bed but not sure. You will be happy to know the brakes were tip top as far as the pedal was concerned, quite a few of those in that group the pedal dropped right to the floor. Tires overall were as new except for one. It appears that someone at GL tried to move the truck over with the giant fork lift and did big damage to the driver's side outer first dual tire. It is still inflated. Here is the bad...the forks also speared the drive shaft causing a bend that will require replacement. Then it went to the fuel tank on the opposite side causing some minor damage but no visible leaks seen, has full load of fuel. I don't believe it warrants replacement of the tank.

Don't be discouraged by the gauges, those panels complete with all gauges are available for a couple of hundred depending on source. Look for a 60 to 90 day wait on your EUC to clear if this is your first time. If you have the time make the 4 hour drive down and do a full audit on what it needs. Get to know Rod at GL there, he is on the good guy list and not the one that "forked" your rig I'm sure. He works the yard there and is very flexible about you checking on your property. There are lots of good threads here on recovery issues, do your research, wish I had found this site before I got mine! Good luck!

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vendetta, I previewed your truck with a buddy two weeks ago at Fort Sam. Good news and some bad, the one you got 7113 and 7111 were my picks of that group. I didn't attempt to start any so I can't help you with that. 7113 was what seemed to be in the best overall condition. I think there was a top in the bed but not sure. You will be happy to know the brakes were tip top as far as the pedal was concerned, quite a few of those in that group the pedal dropped right to the floor. Tires overall were as new except for one. It appears that someone at GL tried to move the truck over with the giant fork lift and did big damage to the driver's side outer first dual tire. It is still inflated. Here is the bad...the forks also speared the drive shaft causing a bend that will require replacement. Then it went to the fuel tank on the opposite side causing some minor damage but no visible leaks seen, has full load of fuel. I don't believe it warrants replacement of the tank.

Don't be discouraged by the gauges, those panels complete with all gauges are available for a couple of hundred depending on source. Look for a 60 to 90 day wait on your EUC to clear if this is your first time. If you have the time make the 4 hour drive down and do a full audit on what it needs. Get to know Rod at GL there, he is on the good guy list and not the one that "forked" your rig I'm sure. He works the yard there and is very flexible about you checking on your property. There are lots of good threads here on recovery issues, do your research, wish I had found this site before I got mine! Good luck!
Any notes on 7109 or 7110? I won those. Thanks.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anyone in the greater San Antonio wants to meet up this friday im coming into town to take a better look at what I caught. I havent met up with many SA members yet, hope to change that.

stumps

One thing: If you are nice to the yard guy at GL, he might be willing to let you snag a new drive line from one of the deadlined deuces on the lot... not one up for auction, but some of the debris from refused and or seriously broken deuces. They all have a scrap pile somewhere.

-Chuck

Vendetta

One thing: If you are nice to the yard guy at GL, he might be willing to let you snag a new drive line from one of the deadlined deuces on the lot... not one up for auction, but some of the debris from refused and or seriously broken deuces. They all have a scrap pile somewhere.

-Chuck

Thanks for the info I'll have to check into that. Motorcar... do you know if they had something like this in the SA lot? Tinwoodsman, I know during a "recovery" from the GL auctions it is normal to find things that you weren't expecting. I think I was just a little more sensitive b/c more than 1 person was like "who paid that much for a GL deuce?". I just don't believe I did thorough enough research before purchasing... (like expecting them to run/drive unless they specifically said that they didn't) But I'm over that now... I'm just looking fwd to the 60-70 days or so it will take for the EUC to go through so I can finally pick it up and start enjoying her.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vendetta, you got a good deal on your truck trust me. It is really clean. If I were you, I would bring 2 batteries, a driveshaft, and the instruments, bolt it all on right quick, and drive her home. The Ft Sam GL/DRMO yard is super clean and organized and does not have derelict deuces off in a corner for cannibalization. If the truck won't crank, contact truckingdeals.com over in Palestine and they will get a hot shot to deliver your truck to Dallas cheap.

Towman2277

If you will need a gauge set for your truck, I probably have all of them, and I will sell them all for relatively cheap. Send me a PM, and i'll snag a panel or two and see what I have. Most are new, some used.

Motorcar

V, As NDT said "The Ft Sam GL/DRMO yard is super clean and organized and does not have derelict deuces off in a corner " and the motor pool is O/L to the public. You also must be with a GL rep at all times while on the fenced in lot. It is a pain but remember they are protecting your property from parts theft as well as everyone's with the policy.

Vendetta

Understood and appreciated... Thanks for all of the advice guys. I'll definitely try to locate a driveshaft, bring extra batteries, air, jack, tools, etc... When it comes time for me to finally pick it up if anyone that has knowledge of the Deuce wants to come out there with me I'll let ya. :D

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vendetta, Were is the truck. Mine came from Ft. Sam and I live about 60 miles northwest in the Hill Country. Keep me posted as to when you will be recovering and I will try to help. Is this your first EUC?

86m1028

Understood and appreciated... Thanks for all of the advice guys. I'll definitely try to locate a driveshaft, bring extra batteries, air, jack, tools, etc... When it comes time for me to finally pick it up if anyone that has knowledge of the Deuce wants to come out there with me I'll let ya. :D
Hey Vendetta

I saw your truck, while I was picking mine up from last auction.

Your truck is clean, I didnt take a hard look but I dont really think it was driveable. Most of the trucks needed some kind of work.

I had mine picked up with a lowboy, mine had dead batts, missing guages & misc small parts along with no windshield. No brakes, low tires ect ect ect.

Im not trying to talk you out of trying to drive it out of there but I just cant see the 300+ mile trip. I wish you the best of luck.

I live in Murphy (sub of Dallas) but spend alot of time down south of San Antonio. Pm me if you need & I will help if I can.

Ray

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks