• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Keyed Switch

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supposedly there are some for heavy equipment that will work and not burn everything up, but you won't find them labeled for HMMWV use.

I'm sure at some point someone linked one that would work to a thread on here in the past, but I didn't pay attention. Way too many chinese made switches on the market labeled for HMMWV, and while some people report they haven't had them fail yet after using them for a year or so, plenty of others have had expensive failures because of them

There are several other security devices out there that will prevent starting.

Autonomy_Lost

Someone designed a mechanical keyed switch which adapts to the existing starter switch. Its supposed to retain the reliability of the OEM switch while still utilizing a key. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a link, but I remember seeing it on a Facebook group.

Otherwise, just go with a hidden switch as others have suggested.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Springer installed a keyed ignition on the steering column maybe three years ago and posted how he did it.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a keyed switch that merely interrupts the neutral safety switch. The stock start switch is retained in place, and the keyed switch is mounted on the ledge under the heater switches (key UP configuration), so it's sort of hidden, but mostly to retain the military look. That was not an easy hole to drill...

cdohner44mag

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can a keyed switch be used to interrupt the 24v feed to the factory switch? That way if the factory switch happened to be toggled when it's not supposed to it wont send power to the GP and can't start the vehicle. Not exactly sure how the switch wiring is but thought it might work.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can a keyed switch be used to interrupt the 24v feed to the factory switch? That way if the factory switch happened to be toggled when it's not supposed to it wont send power to the GP and can't start the vehicle. Not exactly sure how the switch wiring is but thought it might work.
A keyed switch can be used to interrupt almost anything.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is the switch would have to be rated at quite a few amps and to be able to interrupt a 24V circuit, that is the issue with using a keyed switch for the start/run switch to begin with.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The problem is the switch would have to be rated at quite a few amps and to be able to interrupt a 24V circuit, that is the issue with using a keyed switch for the start/run switch to begin with.
Perhaps it could, if you used the keyed switch to provide a ground for a relay, and the relay interrupts the load. The relay would have to be pretty heavy duty, so maybe a solenoid instead.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Perhaps it could, if you used the keyed switch to provide a ground for a relay, and the relay interrupts the load. The relay would have to be pretty heavy duty, so maybe a solenoid instead.
The issue there would be if you forget to turn off the keyed switch the relay/solenoid will drain the batteries, there is a cable to lock the steering wheel that is pretty effective in preventing folks from driving off with your truck.

Lawdog734

Someone designed a mechanical keyed switch which adapts to the existing starter switch. Its supposed to retain the reliability of the OEM switch while still utilizing a key. Unfortunately I can't seem to find a link, but I remember seeing it on a Facebook group.

Otherwise, just go with a hidden switch as others have suggested.

Schwend Waterjet, Welding, & Fabrication

I just bought one and will be installing it this weekend in my sons truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks