• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Large and small fifth wheel king pins?

byrdman1312

I understand that the military has two sizes of fifth wheel king pins. One is large for GI trailers and the other is small for civilian type trailers. How can I tell from data plates or stock numbers which is which on trucks and trailers? Is there a way without going and actually measureing the trailers in person? We have some M916 trucks which take the large king pins and have some civilian trucks which take the small king pins. We are trying to get trailers to match from LESO program.
Many thanks in advance.
Keith

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Large: M747, M1000, large and small interchangeable: M172A1, M870/A1. All others: normal size.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normal fifth wheel plate for M916: Holland fifth wheel plate, p/n XA-351-A-L-P. Requires custom machined adapters.

byrdman1312

So, if I'm understanding this correctly. The M916 will pull the M747 or the M1000 without modifcation to the stock fifth wheel. It will not pull a civilian trailer with out mod to the fifth wheel and pin. I've heard talk about a reverable pin. Does the M172A1 M870/A1 have a reversable pin. When you say "All others" do you mean that other GI trailers have same as civy trailer pins.
Does the M915 have a standard fifth wheel and pin same as a civy truck/trailer.
Thanks

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So, if I'm understanding this correctly. The M916 will pull the M747 or the M1000 without modifcation to the stock fifth wheel. "YES" It will not pull a civilian trailer with out mod to the fifth wheel and pin. I've heard talk about a reverable pin. Does the M172A1 M870/A1 have a reversable pin. "YES" When you say "All others" do you mean that other GI trailers have same as civy trailer pins. "YES"
Does the M915 have a standard fifth wheel and pin same as a civy truck/trailer. "YES"
Thanks
Yes to all your questions.