• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LD & LDT465 Upper Limits

ocmechanx

Been finding alot of post on repowering dueces and 5 tons. And I was wondering why; low power, parts hard to come by, or just for fun?

I was figuring low power, and that led me to wonder what one of these engines would put out if PROPERLY modified, pyro, turbo, fuel settings, timming, ect.

They seemed to be a fairly robust engine with decent displacement, not sure if they are a low or high compression but that could be a problem I suppose.

So what would one of these engines put out without out putting?

hklvette

I would think that the amount of air that can flow through the heads would be rather low as a result of the strong swirling action of the intake ports. Also, the 22.5:1 compression causes more stress on the pistons, rods, bearings, and crank. Adding power won't help those items any.

Don't know anything myself about what adjustments are allowed in the IP, but I do know from reading here that pyro and sometimes boost are the usual additions before mods.

Trango

This is an old topic. Let me summarize:
LDT's don't take kindly to more power.
Transmissions are limited in gearing, both for number of gears and top speed
The trucks don't like to be driven at redline for tens of thousands of miles

You can turn up the power and add a pyro, and get maybe 180/500 HP/Tq out of the mill, all in a 13,500 lb package (still slow).

A repower is pretty much the only way to get a good top speed and reasonable power past 30-35MPh, especially up hills.

Stick around, and read some of the threads. Searching will also yield heaps of info.

Best
Bob

ocmechanx

Ok good to know, I actually have a M54 are there any major differences mechanically between those of the 2 1/2 tons or are they pretty much the same?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks