• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Again

JTugwell

I know this has been covered a thousand times, but bear with me. I replaced my front seals, and boots not to long ago. it appears that the passenger side is leaking again. :-( i have a drip coming from the lower kingpin plate. i knew this might happen because my retainer was really loose. i actually pulled it from the axle by hand. the other one i had to drive out with a pipe. i put some permatex around it when i put it back in hoping that would help. i guess not. can you get these retainers anywhere? i haven't been able to find them. Or does anybody have any tricks of the trade where i can make it seal up good? of course this is all an assumption on where the leak is coming from. i haven't torn it down yet, but its my best guess. i know the seals were installed correctly. i have read other posts while searching that this could point to the vent. can you get these as well? if im gonna do the seal again ill go ahead and change that vent too. Thanks!

Keith_J

The vent poppets can "stick", making for slight positive pressure condition. Since these are 1/8 NPT, I would retrofit to a hose system like the deep water fording kit but don't supply any pressure to it, just vent to a dry place in the engine compartment.

JTugwell

The vent poppets can "stick", making for slight positive pressure condition. Since these are 1/8 NPT, I would retrofit to a hose system like the deep water fording kit but don't supply any pressure to it, just vent to a dry place in the engine compartment.

thats a good idea. thanks. i wondered how those kept water from coming in anyway. ill try that. So nobody thinks it could be that seal retainer?

Jake0147

Those seals are poor at best. More like a "splash guard" than a seal. Keep the fluid one knuckle below the filler hole in the axle, don't leave it off-camber for excessive periods of time, and if you find that the truck is off camber for any reason (so an excess of fluid would run to one end of the axle), you can drain the downhill side axle boot via one of the lower kingpin bushing retainer bolts, and get rid of the oil before it works it's way further along and makes a mess out of your truck.

This is of course in addition to the vent advice above. This type of vent can plug easily, it needs routine inspection or modification to a different style.

Brock Steel

Make sure you glue the seal and retainer in place. grease the seal lip. Pack grease behind thrust washer too. I had the same trouble to but after i fixed it this way it stopped leaking.

mendo069

what i did was change the tappet breather to a 1/8 npt threaded one side hose connection on other.. then i ran the tubing up into the engine compartment.. the rear axels i ran up to bottom of bed, with slack in tubing for axle movement.. at the end of the tubing i bought some cheap fuel filters to allow them to breathe without contamination.. dont forget the tranny has a tappet also... real easy and cheap project..

JTugwell

Make sure you glue the seal and retainer in place. grease the seal lip. Pack grease behind thrust washer too. I had the same trouble to but after i fixed it this way it stopped leaking.
what did you use to glue the seal, and retainer in place? didnt see a separate thrust washer in mine. unless you mean the machined surface on the inner axle shaft that would ride against the retainer. my axles are not u-joint if that helps. thanks.