• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Diesel From Filter Housing? New filter didn't fix issue? What to do?

aboonski

I just finished installation of a new filter block on my M1008 and made a video of the difference between the replacement filter base and the original filter base that came when the truck was new. After reading through several posts in this thread I now realize how useless my video is and will probably delete it or make a new video that shows where the fuel sensor switch has been eliminated from the replacement filter blocks. Somehow I managed to cram a new fuel sensor switch into the new filter base only to find out that it was totally unnecessary. I was even getting ready to order another sensor switch because I damaged the new one, etc.... No wonder the new filter base did not come with a sensor switch! To be sure the newer filter base did not require the sensor switch I tested the "out" line by blowing through it and found the sensor switch opening is internally plugged. Anyone using the older fuel block can replace the sensor switch or just block off the opening and they are good to go. There's a reason why the newer fuel filter bases do not come with a fuel sensor switch and it is called "NOT NEEDED"!

If you want to see the video: [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caJBYZj3ZAU[/media]

Attachments

3dubs

Disconect the fuel lines and unplug the wires.
Pull the filter base off with the filter on it.
Fill the filter with fuel.
See where it is leaking.
If it does not leak plug one line and blow in the other line. An air compressor does not leave a taste in your mouth but the preasure may just blow it all out.
Once you know where it is leaking you can fix it.
It is a block of metal and a crack should be easy to see. But it is not likely to crack unless you hit it or so extreme condition. So the filter base itself should be fine unless it was abused. But what are you going to do to it. The rubber will go bad and leak. If you bought a new one and you want the sensor then just change the rubber over to the old one. It is an expensive path so I would just take the base and go on a parts run. Then you can test fit the O rings. Even when you find the leak I would replace any other rubber you can so it does not go next. But testing it will let you know what must be fixed to get on the road.

Me, I have an extra filter base. I plan to replace all the rubber, coat the rubber, and put it next to the starter. I love to just swap the part and then fix the broken one later.

I used a AC spin on filter adapter.

And it just so happens that all of my CUCV's are made to use this adapter.

They have 3 nutserts in the firewall around the same area where the rectangular filter and its base was.

In the 2nd pic It shows the hose that goes from the adapter outlet to the hose that goes to the injector pump.

I made a little adapter that is 5/16 tubing on one end and 3/8 tubing on the other.

91W350

Does anybody know if that drain fitting at the bottom of the fuel block works like the bleeder at the top of the fuel block? My M1009 has been leaking down over night. Starts immediately all day, let it set over night and is fires then dies, then it takes some cranking to fire again. While looking for fuel leaks, I noticed the outside of the drain tube was soaked and the fitting into the fuel filter bloack was about 1/2 to 3/4 turn out. The little black thumbwheel. Thanks!

91W350

I got it started and drove it around for a while. It started super the rest of the day. I will find out at about 0530 if that was the issue, if not, my M1008 will get me around tomorrow.....

91W350

My M1009 fired right off this morning, just like it should. Hopefully the seeping drain line fixed it. Time will tell, sure wish they had a nice solid spin on filter like an early Cummins! At least the start and die routine did not bite me this morning. Glen

azpatriot

I've got the same exact issue 91W350. But my routine requires trying to start the beast three times before she fires up. If she starts the first crank she runs rough, then stalls and becomes a bear to start again. I think I've got an air leak in my fuel line and in addition I am dropping fuel from what looks like the overflow tube. Haven't had time to see what is really going on. Maybe this weekend.

91W350

It could be a lot of things, but check that fuel drain tube coming out of the bottom of the filter block. It should be tight. That is what was wrong with mine. It was that way when I picked it up. Our conditions sound the same. If it is leaking out of the line at the top left of the fuel block, that is the air bleed. Both of those should be screwed in thumb tight, both are black plastic. I changed the lift pump on mine, the guy at the pump shop said they have a check valve that goes bad fairly regulary and even though the pump is not leaking and makes good pressure, it allows the fuel to drain back from the injection pump. I am glad mine was simple, I wish I would have found it a lot sooner! I think my starter is dragging a little as well, it will not crank very long before killing the batteries. Glen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks