• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Liquid Tire Balance (How To)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Adding any fluids will cause corrosion or cause tire deterioration. I have 3 a2 trucks my ctis works in all of them. It is easy to maintain once you learn it. A univeral o ring kit has most of the replacements you will ever need, new valves are avaialble online or you can rebuild the old ones and lines can be made at most hydraulic line shops.

acme66

I don't have CTIS so I have the luxury of just watching you guys hash it out. I do think it is worth noting that antifreeze is not water and in your arguments it shouldn't be treated as such. It is anti corrosive and has some lubricating properties. Not saying it is a viable option but at least give it its due. What causes CTIS failures, sensors or valves? I think if I had a working CTIS system I would leave it alone but if it was already starting to fail and that failure point was a valve I would be sorely tempted. I have brought air valve back with nothing more than popping a line and adding a few drops of air tool oil, is this concept really that much different? If it fails you had to replace it anyway right? If CTIS fails because of sensors well then not sure how anything is going to help. Like I said I don't have CTIS and what you do is your call not mine. This is just my line of thought on it.

I think you should also talk about airline deicer. That also has some lubrication properties, isn't going to mess with tire rubber and is approved for air systems. As for tire filter/screens well none of this is going to plug them on their own but if you have stuff in the tire, bits of rubber and dirt or whatnot the fluid is going to pick all of that up and haul it around. Anyone who has worked around tires know they often gather moisture, as do air systems. The CTIS can't be that much of a princess about it or it would never work. Do all CTIS equipped trucks have an air dryer? How many of the warnings are related to pre-air dryer days when the tanks wouldn't get drained and you could be pushing pure rust causing water through the system? Lots of heavy logging trucks and trailers have similar inflation systems, it isn't military specific. Lets be honest, those trucks exist in a harsher environment and with less maintenance than most of our trucks do. Maybe a call to a few of their mechanics (not just one, a couple) to see how they keep their systems operating in extreems. ...and go!

-Ken

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I almost refrenced a manual, but I know how you guys think they are a waste of time.
Maybe some of those people should read Lincoln?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

HASSON1911

as far as i know none, all your radiator hoses are rubber. plus you have rubber coolant gaskets on the engine. Ken you keep poking my inner bear here as my ctis is starting to have an inflation hiccup. So here is what I'm thinking. I keep my CTIS hook up. do the anti-freeze experiment after contacting some garages to make sure they do in fact use this for their ctis systems. and ill report back to see if my ctis is still operational. worst case is I disconnect a system I was going to already unhook.

acme66

Maybe some of those people should read Lincoln?

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
— ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

My God I hate this attitude both on this site and in life in general. We do it this way and how dare you question! Look just because the military does one thing doesn't mean that is the only way to do it. In the world of civilian heavy trucks there are a 100 ways to approach any issue and don't think for a moment it is any different on an m923. There are about a half dozen of you guys who wade though the forums with your mighty sticks of justice. It is irritating. I could pay to have my wheels balanced but I don't. I could pay someone to change my oil, mow my lawn and wash my cars but I don't do that either. This is an open forum, that means us too. Here we are minding our own business hashing out an issue and in you come to call us all stupid for not doing it your way, the TM way. At the same time half of you are running additives, those are not in the manuals either. When I looked into fluid balancing my tires on this forum all the threads had someone come in with the same message of doom backing everyone who was thinking about down by well calling them stupid for trying. That wasn't good enough for me. I decided to try it, I looked up the main components of fluid balancing compounds, found a close substitute and did it. Then (and this is the important part) I came back and reported how I liked the results and how I did it to help others make their own choices. I am a firm believer in letting other people make their own choices.

I have no idea what antifreeze will do to CTIS but I know component wise it will not hurt anything. Oh you might have to blow the whole system out and flush it but there is no way it will 'harm' any of the components, it is designed not to. So even at the worst case, what is he risking, a day of breaking down tires? An afternoon of pulling fittings loose and blowing them out with a compressor and a little shot of airline fluid? Your acting like this will involve flaming debris and dead school children. Relax, grab some popcorn and watch us fail. They are our trucks, it might work, it won't hurt you and we could all learn something. At least we go out and try something and report back success or failure rather than talking about it. If he wants to try it and report back to us, I think that is great of him. He assumes some risk sure, he knows that. Thats what the group needs to learn as a team. Will it work, idk, but I see how it could work and in a few weeks we will all know. Personally I still lean towards airline deicer for a CTIS truck but I would call some big logging shops. I promise you those guys have tried about every tick to keep things rolling. Remember to call a few if you do.

-Ken

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
My God I hate this attitude both on this site and in life in general. We do it this way and how dare you question! Look just because the military does one thing doesn't mean that is the only way to do it. In the world of civilian heavy trucks there are a 100 ways to approach any issue and don't think for a moment it is any different on an m923. There are about a half dozen of you guys who wade though the forums with your mighty sticks of justice. It is irritating. I could pay to have my wheels balanced but I don't. I could pay someone to change my oil, mow my lawn and wash my cars but I don't do that either. This is an open forum, that means us too. Here we are minding our own business hashing out an issue and in you come to call us all stupid for not doing it your way, the TM way. At the same time half of you are running additives, those are not in the manuals either. When I looked into fluid balancing my tires on this forum all the threads had someone come in with the same message of doom backing everyone who was thinking about down by well calling them stupid for trying. That wasn't good enough for me. I decided to try it, I looked up the main components of fluid balancing compounds, found a close substitute and did it. Then (and this is the important part) I came back and reported how I liked the results and how I did it to help others make their own choices. I am a firm believer in letting other people make their own choices.

I have no idea what antifreeze will do to CTIS but I know component wise it will not hurt anything. Oh you might have to blow the whole system out and flush it but there is no way it will 'harm' any of the components, it is designed not to. So even at the worst case, what is he risking, a day of breaking down tires? An afternoon of pulling fittings loose and blowing them out with a compressor and a little shot of airline fluid? Your acting like this will involve flaming debris and dead school children. Relax, grab some popcorn and watch us fail. They are our trucks, it might work, it won't hurt you and we could all learn something. At least we go out and try something and report back success or failure rather than talking about it. If he wants to try it and report back to us, I think that is great of him. He assumes some risk sure, he knows that. Thats what the group needs to learn as a team. Will it work, idk, but I see how it could work and in a few weeks we will all know. Personally I still lean towards airline deicer for a CTIS truck but I would call some big logging shops. I promise you those guys have tried about every tick to keep things rolling. Remember to call a few if you do.

-Ken

How often do you see me "bash" people here? But this weekend has been a entire fest of "I don't care about the TM's". Should a competent individual need to read the TM to know how to replace a headlamp bulb? No, not really.

I'm not going to get into an argument anymore. But they have dryers on the air system for a reason. Plus the CTIS system is problematic to start with. Couple that with $600 (yes, no lie) wheel bearings, water is the last thing I want passing through them. (Yes the tire air does pass through the wheel bearing)

EDIT: I didn't realize the thread had been closed by another staff member. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.