• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Local convoy.

jwaller

did anybody else notice the lack of bridge plates on front, lack of numbers and letters on the bumpers and the deuces up front have flaps on the stacks. neat touches.

mudguppy

in all actuallity, the convoy commander has the last say in the convoy's interval and spacing. many times a large spacing is not feasible depending on traffic or other situations when conducting a closed interval convoy.

so the convoy commander assesses and makes the call, BUT is directly responsible for the convoy's actions and incidents, especially with regards to safety. :shock:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was in the Army at Ft Hood, (1997-2001), most vehicles DIDNT have bridge plates. I doubt you could find a soldier that could tell you what it was supposed to be used for, other than having the # 69 on it.... I think Bridge plates are like M66 ring mounts on M35's.... The collectors/MV'ers like us like to think that having them is the rule more than the exception, but in actuallity, it is the opposite.

The lack of bumper #'s is VERY strange. Perhaps it's an Air Force thing...
Mudguppy is right, the Convoy Commander has the last word in vehicle spacing..

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Listen up all you yellow serial participants. Lets try to preserve a half hour next year to try to stage such a photo going up through VA in the countryside. We could do a static pic like that and it would be cool. Maybe find a side road with a little curve in it and stage up the vehicles for such a pic. Might also be able to plant one of our passengers up ahead and do a video as we roll by then send back and get our passenger. Lets here from you guys. Bjorn, Cabell, Brian, Brandon, Blake, Graham? What say all?

Blake

convoy

Sounds Like a plan Kenny! Ill be in the convoy next year with something! Are you coming up? Im saving my pennies now for 3.00 diesel fuel.

CGarbee

Sounds like a great idea!! I trust that you will be joining us for the photo shoot (and will have that same "what do I drive" question that I will be having... I can think of a couple of good locations on US301 North of Richmond (ok, in the AP Hill area) that would do well for this...

My USAF M35A2C also has a straight stack with a flapper and no bumper markings... Registration numbers are under the hood. The lack of bumper numbers relating to an individual unit is both a USAF and USMC "thing"... Also, it is my understanding that bridge plates really only get used overseas as most routes in CONUS have bridges that can cary the loads without having to worry (unless the route is on local or secondary roads in which case the Convoy Commander gets to do a little route research, see somebody else's note about his responsibilities...).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning on it Cabell and Blake. I've got 10 months to get something to drive up. Regardless of the cosmetics, I'm planning on driving the M108A2. I've got most of what's necessary to complete the truck, just need time to do it. Need to check the calendar to see what I need to save per week to cover my fuel costs.

rmgill

I'll join up as well as I'm more comfortable on the long trips, with friends it should be a snap. though, I suspect we'll take longer. I could probably scrounge up a few more too.

gasser

Oh yeah, count me in - and I will be staying longer this time. I need to take more pictures this time around as well.
I am planning on driving in the m109A3 with the m1009 in tow .... we'll how feasible that really is.

-graham

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Count me in too, and guys, collect used veggie oil, you should have no problem cutting fuel costs in half by running on 50-50 diesel-veggie oil on a trip like this (at least if you bring your deuce).

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Would you consider letting a Mogger in your midst for the photo op next year? ;)

I guess I could just wait around the corner and have my own photo :lol:

CGarbee

The more the merrier... I tend to position vehicles in the serial from smaller to larger with the exception that I seem to be in the front every year :) It's a great feeling when you look in the rearview and see that chain of MV's behind you...

Biodiesel and/or WVO is great, but I have GOT to get a higher volume supply...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks