• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Log / Grapple Truck Project

Nonotagain

Every week I am using crane with operator. He cost me $100 per hour. Log truck with ability to free crane on time by taking tree from cable, prosess baranches and stuck logs will save me atlist 15% maybe up to 25% of crane bill.
Now you are talking. So let take parts and build same one for $30,000.
Purchase an M818 tractor and a MK.48/17 trailer and have the frame of the tractor cut to attach the self loader. The trailer already has a drivetrain in place with large floatation type tires.

Mk.48/17 cargo carrier with a hydraulic load handling crane. It is capable of carrying loads up to 18 000 kg on hard surface roads.

Attachments

Victor

Thanks David.
It is good but not for me.
Prentice 110 is not strong and it's hevier then 120
Half of the lruck lenght is the cab. How long exattly from front bumper to back of the cab? It is nonsence.
Road rate GVW for M35(36) is 10,000#. Minus 6,000 # for loader. I have left 4,000 lb legal weight. Pickup truck. It is nonsence.

But again, David, I am realy apriciat any input.

Guys, I don't see any ready to go solution on market. So I think I need to build it from scratch.

Choose a frame, sand blast, prime and paint.
Get and Install engine with drivetran. install 3,000 psi @ 40 GPM pump.
instrall transfer case,
Get a cab. Cab over is must. Not cab on front like Oshcosh. I like FMTV type or GMC T6500, T7500, T8500. It uses ONLY 55inches. Fit a cab.
Choose axles. 5 ton with pass through momentum (how do you call this?). Fit axels. Cut driveshafts.
Desighn steering system.
Install loader, flatbad and banks.

Ta-da

Alredneck

Banned
I figure unless you come up with series bucks you cant havr your cake and eat it to!

A deuce trying to haul 25k is ridiculous, it doesnt matter if its just truck or truck and trailer, it wont do it safely. I have hauled more than I am supposed to in alot of my equipment but not willing to try that. Yes I think the truck would move, not very fast, but will wear all kinda parts out real quick.

As for eating up the grass, even with super singles, or AG flotation tires hauling the weight you are talking about is going to sink into the ground some, turning will eat up the ground even more. I would just say its going to happen. The good is grass grows back.

rockman

Check Eastern Surplus for ideas as Dave always seems to have a truck with a knuckle boom. Also Bjorn (cranetruck) has lots of information on his similar truck.

Victor

Purchase an M818 tractor and a MK.48/17 trailer and have the frame of the tractor cut to attach the self loader. The trailer already has a drivetrain in place with large floatation type tires.

Mk.48/17 cargo carrier with a hydraulic load handling crane. It is capable of carrying loads up to 18 000 kg on hard surface roads.
Why M818 not M813 or M814? It has long wheel base already?
Why do I need a Mk48?
For crane?
Cranes are slow compare to log loader.
Crane is another $$ to retrofit with rotator and grapple.
Operator located on ground fixed position not on top as a loader with eyes on load.
For frame?
How many PSI frame is? How much(long) of frame I will get? What is wall size of frame (vertical portion)? What is flange (horizontal portion) size?
For axles and suspention?
What are the ratings? How much travel (vertically) whey do? Are they pass through rotation? obviously first is, but what about second? Can I see some pictures?

I figure unless you come up with series bucks you cant havr your cake and eat it to!
My budget is $30,000

A deuce trying to haul 25k is ridiculous, ...
Absolutly! Deuce is out of game.

As for eating up the grass, even with super singles, or AG flotation tires hauling the weight you are talking about is going to sink into the ground some, turning will eat up the ground even more. I would just say its going to happen. The good is grass grows back.
I am comparing every think to example of log truck on the first page. He got 4 pairs of 11x24.5 and 4 tires 385x60x22.5 and his load on truck (with out trailer) is 100,000 lb (legal).

What I was thinking 8 tires some thing like 24R21s and total truck weight is 55-60,000 lb.

11x24.5 has actual tread with of 8 inches
385s are 12.5 inches.
8 tires x 8" = 64"
4 tires x 12.5" = 50"
total is 114" for 100,000 lb
877 lb per inch (do not confuse with psi)

my calculations:
24r21 are has actual 22" of tread. Correct me if I am wrong.
22" x 8 tires = 176"
total is 176" for 60,000 lb
340 lb per inch (do not confuse with psi) it is almost 1/3 thread!

and of course the length of the tire impression was assumed to be the same. Practically super singles are longer then 11x24.4

Check Eastern Surplus for ideas as Dave always seems to have a truck with a knuckle boom. Also Bjorn (cranetruck) has lots of information on his similar truck.
What is web address?

Nonotagain

Why M818 not M813 or M814? It has long wheel base already?
Why do I need a Mk48?
For crane?
Cranes are slow compare to log loader.
Crane is another $$ to retrofit with rotator and grapple.
Operator located on ground fixed position not on top as a loader with eyes on load.
For frame?
How many PSI frame is? How much(long) of frame I will get? What is wall size of frame (vertical portion)? What is flange (horizontal portion) size?
For axles and suspention?
What are the ratings? How much travel (vertically) whey do? Are they pass through rotation? obviously first is, but what about second? Can I see some pictures?
First off, please learn to spell as my head hurts more with each and every post.rofl

You asked for ideas, not someone to design and build the truck for you.

You have enough information to do a little research on your own.

I'm finished with this thread.

Good luck and happy building.

Victor

First off, please learn to spell as my head hurts more with each and every post.rofl

You asked for ideas, not someone to design and build the truck for you.

You have enough information to do a little research on your own.

I'm finished with this thread.

Good luck and happy building.
Sorry for misspellings.
I am appreciated any AND all ideas you guys provided with.
I did not mean to offend any one, just a little explanations why you proposing your idea. Is it too much to ask? if so please accept my apologies.

srodocker

quick logging question.

i saw on one of those logging shows that trees that have been sitting under water for awhile are worth some money i guess is that true?

i know a place which has tons of those logs on an island i lived on which is very secluded.

Victor

An M814 on 1400's should suit your needs as a base truck to start with. 20k payload rated with a 20ft bed.
Yes Josh,
M813,M814; M924-928, M934,M935; M1086, M1096. This are the base chassis I found long enough to start project from. Do I miss any think?

quick logging question.

i saw on one of those logging shows that trees that have been sitting under water for awhile are worth some money i guess is that true?

i know a place which has tons of those logs on an island i lived on which is very secluded.
Whey do have very high market value. And mostly to low supply factor. Very few companies are into this "harvesting" operation.

Buy a 5 ton truck long wheel base and add the Prentice that Dave from Eastern has!
Yep, it is a good start.

Is any one know how to fit 24R21 on M939 series truck axles?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check with 73M819 and see if his KW is still available. Sounds like it might be a good start.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Hrm would you recommend me just calling a couple local places to see if they accept those logs?
SRO....there was a program on the HISTORY channel (I think) that featured the "underwater loggers".
Logs submerged in water do not rot. A lot of the logs they recovered were old growth and were very valuable.
Once the logs were recovered and dried awhile they were milled.....the finished lumber brought top dollar.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done a fair amount of logging so I kind of know what you're up against.

If I were in you're shoes what I'd do is buy two trucks. One with a loader mounted and the other to haul the logs. The outfit you're trying to build is going to be too heavy and too big to meet you're requirements IMO.

While I love the deuce it wouldn't be my first choice as a truck to make a living with if I was doing much hwy driving. I may would look at buying a later model civilain 2 ton truck and putting deuce axles and t-case under it if I needed all-wheel drive. I've got a old Chevy C-60 and a set of deuce axles. I've been thinking about putting the deuce axles under it for the heck of it.

Victor

Hrm would you recommend me just calling a couple local places to see if they accept those logs?
Sure, why not! Try to see top quality sawmill which is specializing in "VENEER QUALITY MILLING" (it is a term).

Check with 73M819 and see if his KW is still available. Sounds like it might be a good start.
73M819 is this call sign?
KW - ?

Logs submerged in water do not rot. ...
Absolutely not rot.

... A lot of the logs they recovered were old growth and were very valuable....
Supply - demand issue. Price on any logs (as any other commodity) are subject to current market value.

Once the logs were recovered and dried awhile they were milled.....the finished lumber brought top dollar.
the expensive part is "RECOVERING". It always stays about the same (moving up slowly) however the demand is jumping up and down. It is worth it to do a research. Even if NOW is bad timing - good idea to line up all service providers ready to go. Then when the market goes up you will enjoy fruit of your management skills.

Victor

If I were in you're shoes what I'd do is buy two trucks. One with a loader mounted and the other to haul the logs....
Yes, I am trying to build a small (compare to real size) log truck. I think 50-60,000 GVW is small a small log truck. And by maximizing a footprint (more axles, wider tires) - minimize ground pressure.
The haul part mostly will be done by my logging guy.

While I love the deuce it wouldn't be my first choice as a truck to make a living with if I was doing much hwy driving. I may would look at buying a later model civilian 2 ton truck and putting deuce axles and t-case under it if I needed all-wheel drive. ...
Deuce is nice truck, but not for this. Thanks for understanding my side.
To upgrade civilial truck with military parts ... This is an option as well. Just instead 2.5 ton axles use 5 ton axles and t-case and also go bigger base vehicle.

.... I've got a old Chevy C-60 and a set of deuce axles. I've been thinking about putting the deuce axles under it for the heck of it.
nice...

Alredneck

Banned
I would a agree for cost just to get you going, so you can make more money. A good M814 with supersingles, 14s or 16s ( we are not talking having to be speedy gonzales but need flotation ) would be a good start as for adding a crane to pick them up I been looking for a crane and they are not cheap. Can you not keep a loader or something on site to load the truck till the job is done instead of having to have a way for the truck to load itself?