• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Long Haul Advice?? De. to Oregon

hardtime

I will be driving my 814 from De. to Oregon at the end of the summer, I am looking for any and all advice concerning pm checks, tips, and tricks.
This is my first big GREEN machine, so I want to make sure that I dont miss anything and have a Safe run!

Also I will post my route later as I will have room on the truck if any members need something hauled. Thanks!

Blood_of_Tyrants

I would go the whole 9 yards and do every PM I could think of including removing all the wheels and greasing bearings, greasing every zirc fitting I could find, making sure any axle leaks are fixed, change oil and filters, top off differentials, transmission, and transfer cases, double check the fuel tanks for water and crud, replace the fuel filters.

Carry every tool you own. Try to find SS members who can lend a hand along the route if you have trouble.

On an added note I would buy some Bose noise canceling headsets that would hook up to a portable radio and your cell phone. Don't be in a hurry because overreving the engine is the quickest way to detonate it. Keep your speed about 50.

Since it is going to be a long slow trip, consider taking a route other than the freeways and interstates and enjoy seeing parts of America that few ever see.

Sephirothq

You might want to drop the front drive shaft and the drive shaft between the duels. You won't be going off road so you don't need the extra traction and you can take some stress off the drive line. Might pick up a little MPG as well, but i wouldn't be too hopeful on that.

L999here

....various options...

Assuming you are picking up a vehicle from a DRMO site...? If so....have a local towing Co. remove from yard and do a complete PM and safety check,including tires and items as stated above. With plenty of time and the resources at their disposal,they will probably be able to do a much better job and charge a fair price. Having a safe,worry-free trip is the next best thing to getting 'her' home.

Some of the previous advice is good and you said you are going to drive it.
My advice or tips:
Make sure all paperwork is in order, registration & insurance.
Take X-tra tires, belts & fluids.
Make lots of stops to check the truck. (not that you won't want to stop)

My Cummins runs out great at 55mph, all day long.
Are you going to have a chase vehicle?

A long recovery like yours can be a great time, but take your time with both the prep and the actual trip.

buffalocody

needed

I won't be an a** and tell you to print a listing of all long distance wreckers services along the way.
Of all the spares and parts and to do's, I found a hand held temperature checker, an electronic non contact unit, cheap from Harbor Freight, is really good on those stops to check the temp of everything that turns, in particular tires and bearings. Beats putting your hand on them and getting burned.
Less than $30 bucks and I got the idea from someone driving a pusher RV.
Every time I haul, it comes with me when I do a walk around.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you call to get insurance, make sure you tell your insurance company that you plan to drive it home 3,000+ miles (!!) and see if you are still insured. I doubt you will be covered if you have collector/historic insurance. Guys too often throw caution to the wind to save a buck. Wayne said it best...or as he said "better" than I did :)...buy closer to home if you don't want to spend a lot for shipping. Inevitably, that is the excuse guys always use for driving trucks home...they want to save a buck. Not all guys agree with me, and that is fine, but, to me, the price of buying a truck includes the sale price, the bidder's fee (if applicable), the tax, title fee, the cost of fixing anything that might be wrong, AND shipping. There was another thread where a guy was talking about a wreck that he was in while towing a CUCV home. I am glad that he and his son made it through OK. I am not trying to be a wise-a$$. I am only pointing out that driving your truck home...or hauling it yourself...is not always the smartest option. Even from some place as close as Ft. Meade, I have had things hauled home. To me, the closer it is, the cheaper the shipping cost. I mean these comments with the best of intentions. Take my advice or not...your call. Good luck. Stay safe.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you call to get insurance, make sure you tell your insurance company that you plan to drive it home 3,000+ miles (!!) and see if you are still insured. I doubt you will be covered if you have collector/historic insurance. Guys too often throw caution to the wind to save a buck. Wayne said it best...or as he said "better" than I did :)...buy closer to home if you don't want to spend a lot for shipping. Inevitably, that is the excuse guys always use for driving trucks home...they want to save a buck. Not all guys agree with me, and that is fine, but, to me, the price of buying a truck includes the sale price, the bidder's fee (if applicable), the tax, title fee, the cost of fixing anything that might be wrong, AND shipping. There was another thread where a guy was talking about a wreck that he was in while towing a CUCV home. I am glad that he and his son made it through OK. I am not trying to be a wise-a$$. I am only pointing out that driving your truck home...or hauling it yourself...is not always the smartest option. Even from some place as close as Ft. Meade, I have had things hauled home. To me, the closer it is, the cheaper the shipping cost. I mean these comments with the best of intentions. Take my advice or not...your call. Good luck. Stay safe.
:ditto:

I've bought several trucks from GL and have never driven one off base. To me, there's just too much that can go wrong with a 30+ year old truck that you know almost nothing about. I know people do it all the time but it's not a chance I'm willing to take.

Sephirothq

Guys,

He already has the truck and has been driving it for a little while at this point, it's a his truck, not picking it up for a first time.

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Plan A, flat bed it. Plan B, follow all above advice on carrying anything that can break. Two of everything electrical. If driving, I highly recommend US Rt 40 or US Rt 20. They're slow roads, narrow in places but you won't have the craziness of the interstates. Do a cost comparison of the two options, I'd bet plan A is probably cheaper.

Blood_of_Tyrants

If you are doing it for the adventure, go for it and have a great time but do everything you can to prepare the truck even if it costs you a few hundred $$. Bring camping gear and look for great places to stop and camp. (Shoot, that starts to sound like a great road trip)

And get a round inflatable doughnut to sit on. Your rear will thank you 1000 times for it.

If you were doing it thinking to save money, reconsider. I would say that it could easily take 6-8 days to drive it that far. When you consider your plane ticket, fuel, food, lodging, potential for breakdown in a 40 year old truck in the middle of BFE, etc, you won't save much, if any, over shipping.

I hadn't thought of the shipping by rail, but that is a good idea.