• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Loosing massive amounts of trans fluid from unknown location

gt1009

Ya,
My Blazer has recently decided that it is too manly for fluids. The latest one it decided to get rid of is the trans fluid. If I'm running it, I have a pretty solid stream of it flowing out from underneath. Problem is, I can't find the source of the problem. There are drips everywhere underneath, but the biggest pool is right under the starter kind of. I really have no idea where the main drip is, but its pretty severe and I gotta get it fixed quick. Let me know what I need to do to help you guys help me.

LanceRobson

I had one once that barfed fluid out the filler tube. Seems a mud dauber wasp had taken up residence in the little vent hole in the top of the tranny and when the fluid warmed up and expanded, that's where is came out.

That was T400 in a Class C motor home and I was able to clean it out from the engine cover in the camper.

Lance

gt1009

Well I looked at it a little more today and it seems to be one of the transmission cooling lines that runs into the drivers side of the radiator. I don't think I can remove the line without some major work, so looks like I will be patching it. This should be fun. It's in a pretty tough to get to spot underneath the block along a frame rail. Will JB weld be ok or should I put some sort of a patch over the hole and then seal around the patch.

kennyw

If the line is leaking you need to run a new line. There is nothing that will fit over the existing line and hold a good seal short of cutting out the bad section and patching in new stuff. Running a new line will be easier than trying to patch it anyway.

tm america

ya no good way of patching it just cut it out and run new lines slide em in from the bottom then start to bend em up to the top.push a little bit more then bend more .ocne you have enough to reach the rad you can start bending the bottom part where it goes to the trans just make sure not to kink the lines and be sure they are not hitting anything cuz it will wear a hole in it fast

LanceRobson

You can patch the line. It's no different than splicing in a transmission cooler. No transmission cooler maker I know of call for anything other than cutting the line and using the provided hose and clamp.

I'm a little leery of not having a barb or flare to help the clamp so what I do is use a flaring tool to make a slight flare in the end of the line. Then I carefully file the sharp outer edge of the flare off and put the hose on. I've never had a leak or problem.

Just make sure the hose you use is rated for the tranny temps. If your parts guy gives you the "trout look", have him open a tranny cooler and match you up with a hunk of what he finds in the cooler box.

Lance

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks