• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Low range/High range on the fly?

hoopsoft

So yes the 1600 really do suck the life out of a 5 ton, I see that plate on the dash the says don't shift lo/hi range on the transfer case if speed above XX MPH.

Now this isn't something I would "normally" ever consider doing at all, I like to be stopped when I shift it.

with that being said..

The 1600's really do hurt the power of the 5 ton and it pulls great in low range, so I'm think we'll what if I got it upto 5th in low rang to get started then, shifted to high range and completed my 4 and 5th... (maybe 3rd, 4th, and 5th)

Thoughts on this, need insight into how much this might piss off the drive train, or if its designed to do it? etc.

so basicially treating it like an over the road tranny, but not all the back and forth just straight up and on to hi range.

dont know if it's recomended or not but I use low range up to 5th gear and then pull the t case into high and go back to 4th on the main box.
doing it this way really helps the 3rd to 4th gap.
I only do it when loaded heavy but thats quite often.

so far i havent had any troubles.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
............I see that plate on the dash the says don't shift lo/hi range on the transfer case if speed above XX MPH. .........................
Emmmm....read again!

It's just a warning: Do not shift to LOW if speed is over X in Y gear. It could easily make the engine over-rev! Nothing more, nothing less!

Shifting from LOW 5th to HIGH 3th and up (clutch depressed) is OK at any speeds, as often as you want. The syncro in that TC is huge and will take a lot of "abuse" for sure.

G.

reb87

I pull over 80k out of the field in low range then shift up thru 5th gear hit the clutch, pull the transfercase into high and shift down to 4th. If you shift fast (which is the point to keep your rpm up) you can have a couple hundred more rpm than you would just shifting 3 to 4th in high range. If you cant be a couple hundred rpm higher doing it this way your just wasting time and energy. The 3 to 4th shift is so wide (in high) that there isnt any advantage doing the low range to high range shift unless you end up in 4th high from 5th low. Thats the way it works with 11.00x20 tires, I dont think it would be different with 16.00x20s(just higher speed)

hoopsoft

They barely "do" with no load on. It 3rd to 4th is rough, but it gets to speed, I've only ever gotten to 5th once in the 10 mile trip I took since I put them on.

I will be flat towing a deuce for blood of tyrants here in the next couple of days I'll let you know. I have a tow bar to use, but no rigging for the wrecker. I was able to get a pintle that I had been missing from donkdonk today so much thanks there.

I would just go get it with my other deuce, but I need to investigate a low oil pressure problem on it and I don't have time before I have to pick it up.

bigelk50

Sounds like a cool trip though. I am wanting to put the 1600's on my truck but was afraid of having to do a brownie or a road ranger ten speed. I have a 818 that I am putting a dropside deuce bed on it. I was hoping that the tires would not be a problem!

Sounds like a cool trip though. I am wanting to put the 1600's on my truck but was afraid of having to do a brownie or a road ranger ten speed. I have a 818 that I am putting a dropside deuce bed on it. I was hoping that the tires would not be a problem!

If your not going to work the truck the 16's are cool.
however if you plan on working the thing, you probly will not be happy with the stock 250.

its fun to run over 70 mph but they also can be a hand full.

even split shifting does not help when you just flat run out of horse.

bigelk50

If your not going to work the truck the 16's are cool.
however if you plan on working the thing, you probly will not be happy with the stock 250.

its fun to run over 70 mph but they also can be a hand full.

even split shifting does not help when you just flat run out of horse.
Thanks DaveP I guess I will see what happens I do not plan to work it everyday. But it could be a good excuse for a turbo and such! (Man that would be alot of work) I bet that they can be a hand full!! I was thinking that if I did put them on an exhaust break would be a must!!